Sharing calendar with Rainlendar, on a single PC

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
AUserInEssex

Sharing calendar with Rainlendar, on a single PC

Post by AUserInEssex » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:33 pm

Dear all

I'd like to share my Vueminder calendar with the Rainleandar calendar program. I have both operating on the same computer. But I want to do the sharing because I prefer Rainlendar's desktop calendar to Vueminder's. I cannot work out how to set this up. I get lost amidst the plethora of sharing options - none of which seem quite right. Do i need (for one thing) to install the Vueminder server program? I tried to that, and had trouble. .

Also: on the trial of Vueminder Pro (but not on the Lite version) I keep getting 'unhandled exception' errors . .

I'd be grateful for help.

PS: Rainlendar uses the ICS format, and has a 'monitor changes [in the calendar file]' option.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Sharing calendar with Rainlendar, on a single PC

Post by VueSoft » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi AUserInEssex, welcome to the forums. I'm pretty sure bi-directional syncing of the same ICS file between Rainlendar and VueMinder won't work very well. VueMinder Server only works with VueMinder, not Rainlendar.

However, you could sync both Rainlendar and VueMinder with the same Google Calendar. Changes made in VueMinder will sync to Google Calendar and then appear in Rainlendar. Likewise, changes made in Rainlendar will appear in VueMinder.

Note, you'd need the Pro versions of both VueMinder and Rainlendar for this to work. Also, VueMinder automatically detects when changes have occurred and will sync automatically, but I'm not sure how often Rainlendar syncs. It might take a few minutes for a change in one program to appear in the other.

Regarding the unhandled exception error, this might be fixed in the 10.0 beta, available here. The next time you see the error, can you send the details to support@vueminder.com? I'll double-check if the problem has been fixed in the beta.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

AUserInEssex

Re: Sharing calendar with Rainlendar, on a single PC

Post by AUserInEssex » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:46 pm

Dear Dan

Thanks very much - but I fear I won't act on your suggestion. Buy two licenses, and run the corruptions risks of three calendars working together? (I've just dropped Mozilla's Lightning because of that sort of problem.)

PS: I've corresponded with you before (under the name of Nick). I was the person who, despairing of other calendar programs, tried yours but in the end was unhappy with that one too. Quite a while later, though, I am pleased to say that I find (the current version of) Vueminder (at least in its light version) almost perfect! But if only the desktop calender were a bit cleaner and had tooltips (even) more like Rainlendar's! (Such is my tuppence worth.)