Google and phones and duplicate events

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
ericrep

Google and phones and duplicate events

Post by ericrep » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:25 am

I'm trying to get VueMinder (Pro ver 9.1.3) to work with my wife's and my new smart phones and I'm getting duplicate events appearing in our VueMinder calendars.

We've been running VueMinder on our home network for quite awhile and it's been sharing events between the three computers pretty well since you made the last database changes. We have six calendars, five of which are shared with all three computers; plus one calendar that's only shared with two of the computers.

This week we got our first smart phones (Samsung Galaxy S3s running Android ver 4.0.4.) from Verizon.

As part of both activating the phones and trying to share the calendars, we also both set up new Google/gmail accounts.

In VueMinder on our primary computer, I shared four of our calendars to my Google calendar. Because this was all new to us, I initially set them to sync only 1-way: VueMinder to Google Calendar.

Then in Google, I shared my calendar with my wife.

Then I set up my phone to sync with my Google calendar, and my wife's phone to sync with her Google calendar.

That worked well for a couple day... VueMinder --> Google --> phones. So this morning I decided to try the 2-way sync option. Again on our primary computer, I went to Share/Google Calendar Sync and changed the sync direction to 2-way for all four shared calendars. And I set them to apply event defaults. I also checked and verified that the settings in File/Add Google Calendar were set to 2-way sync and apply event defaults.

Then I created a test event on my phone. It successfully sync'd to VueMinder on our other computers, to our Google calendars, and to my wife's phone. Yeah!

Since it was just a test event, I then deleted it from VueMinder. But when I re-sync'd, the event reappeared in VueMinder.

So I deleted it again and pressed F5 to sync all.

That's when duplicate events started appearing in VueMinder.

For three of the four shared calendars, I'm now seeing two or three copies of events. It's only happening for future events through Sunday (Sep 2) but it's happening for past events as far back as April 2011 (we started using VueMinder at the beginning of November 2011 so it's not going all the way back).

It's not duplicating all events and I don't see a pattern to the ones it is duplicating. I see the duplicate events in both my and my wife's Google calendars. But I do NOT see the duplicate events on my phone. And strangely, I'm only seeing them in VueMinder on the primary computer, not on the one in our kitchen.

I suspect I've done something wrong in setting up all this new sharing. But I don't know what and I'm hoping you can help.

Thanks!
Eric

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Google and phones and duplicate events

Post by VueSoft » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:35 pm

Hi Eric, I apologize for the problem. If I understand your setup, you are sharing calendars over your local network and syncing with Google Calendar from each computer. Is my understanding correct? If so, I believe you can fix the problem by either switching the calendar to ONLY sync through Google Calendar on each computer, or by changing it so that only one computer is doing the Google Calendar syncing.

Please let me know if that doesn't solve it, or if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

ericrep

Post by ericrep » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:21 am

Dan -

I thought something like that might be the problem. So I turned off Google syncing from all my computers, deleted all of the Google calendars, deleted all of the duplicate events from VueMinder, and started over.

I also realized that I had probably gotten impatient with the syncing process and clicked the sync button repeatedly while the sync was still going on. So I slowed down and waited for one calendar to sync to Google before I started the next.

But then I discovered another problem... syncing is taking a very long time and/or freezing. I synced a couple of the small calendars yesterday evening. Then started syncing a calendar with 654 events before I went to sleep. When I got up this morning, it still wasn't done.

Am I missing an option to control the date range that is synced? It looks like VueMinder is syncing events with Google back to August 2011.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:18 pm

Hi Eric, syncing should only take a few seconds, even with 600+ events. Could you try deleting the calendar, exit/restart VueMinder, and then add the calendar again? Maybe something glitched previously to cause the sync to hang. Please let me know if that doesn't work.

Regarding the date range, there's no option to only sync events within a certain date range. After the initial sync finishes (which should happen quickly), subsequent syncing only includes events that were changed or modified since the previous sync.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

ericrep

Post by ericrep » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:15 am

Dan -

I was finally able to sync all 6 of our VueMinder calendars to my Google calendar. I ended up exiting/restarting both VueMinder and Firefox between every calendar. Even with that, I had to turn off sync and delete one of the calendars on Google, then resync it to get it to complete. Syncing took somewhere between 5 and 20 minutes per calendar.

Now that all the calendars are synced, it is much quicker...1 to 2 minutes per calendar to update. I tested adding and editing events on both VueMinder and my phone and they synced correctly and within a few minutes. (I'm not using Google for anything other than communication between VueMinder and my phone so I didn't do anything with the events there.) However, when I deleted events in VueMinder, there was a significant delay in syncing with Google...slow enough that when I restarted VueMinder, it actually added back several of the events from Google. I deleted the events from the phone and that got rid of them on Google.

Aside from that delay problem, I think I've got everything working with my phone. The next question is what's the best way to sync calendars with my wife's phone?

I've made sure that only one of our three computers with VueMinder is syncing with Google and I haven't seen any more duplicate events being created. Yeah!

Should I share my Google calendars with my wife's Google account and then sync her phone to her Google calendar? Or should I skip the Google sharing and just sync my wife's phone to my Google calendar? I have a slight preference for the first option if it won't cause the duplicate events problem again.

Thank you for you continued help!

Eric

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi Eric, I'd recommend sharing your Google calendar with your wife's Google account via the "Share this Calendar" link on the Google Calendar webpage, under the calendar settings. Make sure to give her read/write permissions if she needs to edit your calendar. You shouldn't see any duplicates when sharing the calendar using this method.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

ericrep

Post by ericrep » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Dan -
No more duplicate events. Events added or edited in VueMinder or on the phone are syncing through Google to the other (and still syncing on our local network). But, if I drag and move an event in VueMinder, or delete an event in VueMinder, those changes are not reliably syncing to Google and our phones.
Thanks,
Eric

condition

Post by condition » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:00 am

ericrep, once I delete an appointment in VM it gets deleted from google calendar in the next sync.

I think all the sync problems, including duplicates have been fixed in the latest release.