VueMinder 10.0 Beta

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: VueMinder 10.0 Beta

Post by VueSoft » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:15 am

Hi sicupnux, thank you for the feedback.
It's great that you don't have to click to make them appear, but I sometimes feel they take too long to disappear.
I've decreased the delay before tooltips disappear. This will be in the next beta.
Could you make it so that, when you click once on the event in focus, the pop-up disappears?
I've completed this for the next beta. In addition, if you move the mouse off an event the tooltip will immediately disappear. Moving the mouse back over the same event will not cause the tooltip to return. It will only appear again if moving over a different event and then back to the original. I think this will decrease the annoyance factor.
Often times I double-click an empty slot so that the editing window pops up, but it doesn't always work and it still sometimes creates empty events. I'm guessing it has something to do with the speed you click and the amount of time the mouse pointer sits over a space? Is there a right and a wrong way to do this?
The "Click to add event" button will always appear at the bottom of a date. My guess is that you're sometimes clicking or double-clicking around the same time the button appears, which has a slight delay after moving the mouse over the date. To avoid this behavior, either wait for the "Click to add event" button to fully appear before clicking, or avoid clicking near the bottom of the date in the region where the button appears.
What's happening in this beta version is that, since you removed it from automatically being selected in the event editing window, new events that have no category selected upon creation have a grey background and a bigger sized bold font in dark grey.
I'll work on fixing this in the next beta. In the meantime, you might be able to correct the behavior by selecting a default category on the "Event Defaults" tab of the Calendar Properties window (assuming you are using the Pro or Ultimate version - the Lite version doesn't provide this feature).
Is there any way you could add the F12 shortcut to the desktop calendar? Please? Is it at least planned for future versions? Or is it available in the other VueMinder etitions?
Can you clarify? What function would you want tied to the F12 shortcut?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:02 pm

Beta 10 is now available. This is a release-candidate beta. We're finishing up final testing and the release will become official very soon. The download links are provided in the first post of this thread.

Here's the list of the improvements and corrections that have been completed since Beta 9...

VueMinder Lite 10.0 Beta 10
  • Corrected Google Calendar authentication to be more reliable. In some cases, the authentication code couldn't be pasted into VueMinder.
  • Corrected opening of recurring events via the title link on the Details Pane. In some cases, the first occurrence of the event would open, rather than the occurrence displayed in the Details Pane.
  • Corrected the text editor font to default to the previously specified font, rather than always defaulting to Calibri 12pt.
  • Updated the simplified Chinese translation - 100% complete.
  • Updated the Danish translation - 100% complete.
  • Updated the Dutch translation - 100% complete.
  • Updated the German translation - 100% complete.
  • Updated the Spanish translation - 100% complete.
  • Updated the French translation - 100% complete.
  • Minor corrections and improvements.
VueMinder Pro/Ultimate 10.0 Beta 10
The Pro and Ultimate versions include all the improvements made to the Lite version. In addition, they add the following...
  • Added the ability to copy events/tasks/notes and paste these as links in the text editor.
  • Corrected intermittent problems with events not being deleted from Google Calendar after being deleted from VueMinder.
  • Corrected selection of date ranges on the Navigation Pane if the last selected date contains events. Only the last date would be selected, rather than the specified range of dates.
  • Corrected a problem where category colors could sometimes be lost when syncing with VueMinder Server.
  • Minor corrections and improvements.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

sicupnux

Post by sicupnux » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:07 am

Hi Dan,

I just installed the latest Beta for the Lite version. The pop-up balloons are behaving much better. I also like their new look.

I hope I now understand what you did with the default category. If you create/edit an event via the 'Event' pop-up window and don't select any categories, it will take the default calendar colours and font. It didn't quite do this in the previous beta. It now makes sense for the default category to be obsolete (especially when viewing in 'color events using category colors'). One thing that could be improved to this is that when you select an event for it to look like events with categories when selected i.e. don't make background colour white. I noticed this for 'all day' events.

Issues:
- if you create a new event by clicking on a timeslot, it automatically takes the Default category, instead of none.
- f you change the colour of the default calendar, old events that had no category don't update their colours, unless you open them with the event editor and save them. If you just change the title in the calendar, the colours stay the same.
- the opacity of the Desktop calendar isn't remembered. For some reason it always starts with a low opacity. Maybe that's how it was set before I upgraded to the beta?

Still confusing: when adding new events in the Desktop view. I still find the behaviour of clicking on empty time slots in the Day view unpredictable. Which of the following behaviour I should be seeing?
1. an event is selected, move the mouse over an empty slot and wait for 'click to add...', click: a new all day empty event is created, both the old and new events are selected. You'll have to click on the new event in order to input text.
2. no event or slot is selected, move the mouse over an empty slot and wait for 'click to add...', click: a new all day empty event is created.
3. no event or slot is selected, click once on an empty slot to select it, wait for 'click to add..', click: a new event is created and you can input text for the title, press enter to save / esc to delete.
4. an event is selected, the same as 3.
5. an empty slot is selected, move the mouse over another empty slot, wait for 'click to add...', click: same as 3.
6. nothing selected, quickly move the mouse and double click on an empty slot: the new event window pops up.
7. an event selected, same as 5.
8. nothing selected, double click on the empty space for all day events, the new event window pops up, save and close: a new all day event is created + an empty all day event.
9. nothing selected, move the cursor over the empty space for all day events, wait for 'click to add...', click: a new event is created and you can input text.
Before doing the above tests, there were some times when adding a new event placed the event at the current time marker, which only happened in this beta. I couldn't recreate that later...
What confused me in the past is that when double clicking on an empty slot, I sometimes got all day empty events or empty events where I clicked. Maybe sometimes I didn't double click fast enough???

The F12 shortcut lets you mark events as completed in the calendar main window. It doesn't work in the desktop view (for the Lite version at least). I also just noticed that the right-click context menu doesn't work for the desktop view. Are all shortcuts, except Delete and the hotkeys, meant to only work in the main view, but not in the desktop view?

(While looking into this further I noticed a typo in the online help :geek: Here http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... tcuts.html F11 should be F12. F11 makes the view full screen.)

Doing all the above tests made me ask for feature requests:
- shift + click to select multiple consecutive events. Right now there is no difference between using shift + click and ctrl + click.
- Changing the colour and/or border of selected empty time slots. It's a bit hard to tell when one is in focus, especially when it is between two events. I suggest adding light coloured top and bottom borders for the Desktop view and maybe making the slot a bit darker in the Main view.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi sicupnux, thanks for the feedback.
- if you create a new event by clicking on a timeslot, it automatically takes the Default category, instead of none.
I can't duplicate this. It might be due to the default settings in your current calendar. Can you create a new calendar using the "New -> Calendar" command on the File menu? Make that calendar the default for new events and then create an event by clicking a timeslot. Does the category get set to "Default" or is it left blank? FYI, the Pro version allows each calendar to be configured with default settings, which could include (optionally) a default category for new events - or no category.
- if you change the colour of the default calendar, old events that had no category don't update their colours, unless you open them with the event editor and save them. If you just change the title in the calendar, the colours stay the same.
I'll fix this in the next beta.
the opacity of the Desktop calendar isn't remembered. For some reason it always starts with a low opacity.
I believe this happens if the Opacity slider is all the way to the right. I've fixed this for the next beta. In the meantime, try sliding the opacity slightly left. It should get saved then.
Still confusing: when adding new events in the Desktop view. I still find the behaviour of clicking on empty time slots in the Day view unpredictable.
It appears the Lite version works differently than Pro when clicking the "Click to add" button. It's not working as intended. Corrections have been made for the next beta.
The F12 shortcut lets you mark events as completed in the calendar main window. It doesn't work in the desktop view (for the Lite version at least).
Shortcut keys aren't provided on the desktop calendar because the window would need to be clicked first to activate it. It's not obvious to the user when the desktop calendar is active and can accept shortcut keys, so I decided to reduce confusion and only support shortcut keys in the main window.
I also just noticed that the right-click context menu doesn't work for the desktop view. Are all shortcuts, except Delete and the hotkeys, meant to only work in the main view, but not in the desktop view?
Yes, that's the intent. If the right-click menu were provided on the desktop calendar, this would force the desktop calendar above other open windows when the menu appears, which wouldn't look right. This has to do with z-order and the way Windows works.
(While looking into this further I noticed a typo in the online help Here http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... tcuts.html F11 should be F12. F11 makes the view full screen.)
The documentation hasn't been updated for 10.0 yet. The full-screen feature is new. The F11 shortcut works as described in the documentation for 9.1.3. I changed the shortcut to F12 in 10.0 because F11 is a fairly common shortcut for making a window full-screen, so it made sense to tie the F11 shortcut to the new full-screen feature rather than picking a different shortcut key. I'll be updating the documentation after 10.0 is released.

Thanks again for the feedback. Please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

sicupnux

Post by sicupnux » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:37 pm

:) Awesome. I hope I didn't annoy you with that very long post.

The opacity has been remembered after the latest computer restart. It must've been some other settings messing with it.

About the Default category and calendar colours:

I made a new calendar and made it default, changed it's colours so that I can recognize it, then created an event by clicking on a timeslot. The event has no category attached to it, but the colours don't match the calendar colours. My view was set to 'color events using category colors' when I created the calendar and the event. I then changed the view to 'calendar colours' and it looked alright. Then, I changed it back to 'category colours', and now the events match my new calendar. I then created an event as before. This time the event was an all day blank* event that didn't allow to input text, and it's colours didn't match the calendar, even though it had no category attached to it.

Later, I deleted the 'Default' category, then changed the view back and forth so that it reset the events colours. Created an event when my main calendar was default. Blank all day event*. The Default category was created by the program and attached to the event.

* At the end I found out why it created the events as all day. The main VueMinder window was open while I was creating the events in the Desktop view. Once I closed it, the events were created in the appropriate time slot.

I also observed that if I create an event by first selecting an empty time slot, waiting for the 'click to add..' button to appear, clicking, entering text, pressing enter: the event takes the default category.
If I quickly double click on an empty slot, I get the new event pop-up window, save and close: the event has no category attached to it.

I think you should add the F12 shortcut to the desktop calendar, since, in order to use it, you have to first select events, therefore VueMinder will be the program in focus.

Anyway, thank you for an awesome program!

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:56 am

Hi sicupnux, thank you for the information.
The event has no category attached to it, but the colours don't match the calendar colours.
I've fixed this for the next beta.
I then created an event as before. This time the event was an all day blank* event that didn't allow to input text
This has also been fixed for the next beta.
The Default category was created by the program and attached to the event.
The default category was probably created because you have one or more read-only calendars that contain events associated with the default category. Deleting the default category will not clear this association from read-only events, so the category will return the next time VueMinder detects the category is missing, which could happen after creating a new event. As for the default category being attached to the event, I'm still unable to duplicate this. I'll keep trying.
I think you should add the F12 shortcut to the desktop calendar, since, in order to use it, you have to first select events, therefore VueMinder will be the program in focus.
Thank you for the suggestion. I've added this to my to-do list.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

sicupnux

Post by sicupnux » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:00 pm

The default category was probably created because you have one or more read-only calendars that contain events associated with the default category.
I have one read-only calendar for holidays and its events are associated with the 'Holidays' category only. Maybe the Default category is created because you have the option to categorize calendars. I changed my calendar's category, then deleted the 'Default' category and created a new event by selecting an empty slot and clicking on "click to add..." The default category wasn't created, but my event has the calendar's category attached to it. Creating an event via the New Event pop-up window didn't automatically attach any category. I suppose you could allow calendars to exist without having a category attached to them. Deleting the Default category doesn't delete it from the 'Categorize Calendar' list. I think this where you should look into. I can try and take screen shots if you still can't recreate this behaviour.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:40 pm

Hi sicupnux, thank you for the information. I only see this behavior when a read-only calendar has at least one event associated with the "Default" category.

Can you try the following steps? My guess is that you have an event, somewhere, that is associated with the Default category. If you were using the Pro version, you could click the "Events" tab, click "Show All Dates", and then filter the "Category" column to see which event is still associated with the Default category. Since you're using the Lite version, it will be a little more difficult.

1. Backup your current data using the "Backup Data" command on the File menu.

2. Delete ALL calendars.

3. Delete the "Default" category.

4. Create a new calendar. Create some new events. Right-click the "Categorize" submenu or do whatever else you were doing to trigger the Default category being created. If it behaves like I think it should, you'll never see the Default category get created.

5. Restore your data using the "Restore Data" command. If it reverts to the previous behavior, where the Default category gets created, then you have an event that is still associated with that category. Deleting the category should clear the association, but it can't clear the association from a read-only event. Calendars can be read-only if they are synced with Google Calendar or subscriptions.

Please let me know what you find.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

sicupnux

Post by sicupnux » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:34 pm

I didn't do exactly what you suggested, but here are the results:

I deleted all read-only/subscription calendars and left only my main calendar. Deleted the Default category and received the message that it will be removed from any items associated with it. Clicked OK then checked the 'Categorize Calendar' options for my calendar and the Default category was still in the list, but not ticked anymore. Exited the VueMinder application and opened it again. The default category was automatically created and ticked in the 'Categorize Calendar' list.

Can calendars exist without having a category associated with them? Right now I can't see this option. My calendar was categorized to Default when I deleted the category. If I categorized it to something else, then deleted Default, it didn't get created and new events didn't have it automatically added to it. Instead they had whatever category was ticked for my calendar. New events had no category only when created via the New Event pop-up window.

mihal.v

Post by mihal.v » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:56 pm

It seems priority sorting do not work properly. See screenshots.
Attachments
2nd.jpg
2nd.jpg (47.67 KiB) Viewed 56725 times
1st.jpg
1st.jpg (56.97 KiB) Viewed 56725 times