inconsistent synchronization/working offline

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
cf_ppi

inconsistent synchronization/working offline

Post by cf_ppi » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:41 am

We created a simple test environment- 2 PC's (server PC,client PC). The "server PC" is just a client PC with the server software on it. Various scenarios worked as expected- add/change/delete an event on either the server or client PC, and verify that the various calendars that we shared are synchronized, as expected. Problems seem to relate to working "offline"....
we made the server PC inaccessible to the client PC (removed the network cable from the client PC), and
it indicated "server offline"....then, while offline, we delete an event on the client PC...
after re-connecting to the server and synching, the server doesn't reflect the deleted
event. Also, if we add an event on the client while it is offline, when brought online
and synched, the server does reflect the added event, but after about 10-15 mins., the event
disappeared from the client PC and remained on the server PC.
I believe that you reference a "work offline" button- we can't find it...we need to understand
more about the "offline" status, since many times the users will have their laptop in the
field (offline from the server), update events, and then return to the office to "synch".
Note: if, while the client PC is offline, we add/edit/delete on the server PC, then when the
client is back online, the proper synching occurs and the client PC is updated with the changes
made on the server.
One more comment: it was mentioned that one could manage the SQL database by loading
a Sequel Server Express Database software (you provided a link in an earlier answer to
jpinto), but that doesn't allow for managing the database- it only allows you to configure
various features.....
We can really use a prompt reply :) Thanks/Charlie

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: inconsistent synchronization/working offline

Post by VueSoft » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:47 pm

Hi Charlie, thank you for the information. I'll run some tests on my end to see if I can get the same behavior. Assuming I can find what's causing this, I'll have it corrected ASAP and will put it in the next beta release.

As for how offline mode is supposed to work, any changes made on the local computer while offline are timestamped. VueMinder checks for a server connection every 20 seconds. As soon as a connection is detected, the local timestamps are compared with the timestamps on the server. Any changes made on the server will be synced to the local computer, and vice versa. The timestamps are used to determine how the changes should merge.

Based on what you're seeing, it sounds like this offline-to-online handshaking has stopped working. I'll let you know what I find. If you think of any other details that might help me in tracking it down, please let me know.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:14 pm

Calendar sharing has been redesigned for version 11.1.0. One of the (many) improvements in the new design is much more robust handing of syncing changes that are made while offline. I also fixed many other problems with calendar sharing, based on lessons learned over the last several years on what works and what doesn't.

If you're interested, a pre-release beta is available here:
http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... f=5&t=1337
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:03 pm

Version 11.1.0 has been officially released and is now available to download.
Dan Chartrand, Founder