Events Disappearing

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
pintoj

Events Disappearing

Post by pintoj » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:08 pm

I am running the latest VueMinder software (9.1.3) and I have a local VueMinder server to sync the various calendars of the PCs in my office and I have noticed some bad behaviour recently. I go to add an event to one of the calendars from a non-server PC and after a few minutes it disappears! I can do this on the PC that is the VueMinder server and it does the same thing.

Is there some kind of diagnostic log I can look at (or turn on) that shows me what VueMinder is doing in the background? Maybe it would show me why it is deleting the event?

Help!
John

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Events Disappearing

Post by VueSoft » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi John, welcome to the forums. I apologize for the problem you’re seeing. Does this happen when creating an event on any computer, belonging to any calendar, or is it isolated to a particular computer/calendar? Does it happen for both recurring and non-recurring events? I’m not seeing this behavior on my network, so isolating the cause might be difficult. Any additional information you can provide would be helpful. Unfortunately, there's no diagnostic log to show why the events are being deleted.

The only possible explanation I can think of is that maybe the event being created has the same name as an event that was previously deleted and occurred at the same time as the new event. Is that the case, or does this behavior happen regardless of the event name?

Can you check the clock times on all computers to ensure they match? If one of the computers is off by a couple minutes, that could result in unusual syncing problems. Also, in the Sharing Options, click the “Cleanup Database” button. It’s possible cleaning the database will help correct the problem, but that’s just a guess.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

pintoj

Post by pintoj » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:19 pm

OK, I'll give those a shot and see what happens. I was really hoping there was some kind of diagnostic log I could turn on that would basically tell me what it is doing and why so it would be easier to debug this kind of strange behaviour. I'm used to turning on logging when debugging sendmail problems ... thought there might be something similar for VueMinder. I'll get back to you on what I discover.

pintoj

Post by pintoj » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:47 pm

It looks like the problem is due to how the VueMinder server identifies each user in the server's database. Many of the individual pc users use the same user name to login to their individual PCs and it seems that VueMinder is using that login user name to identify their calendars in the DB. So users are changing calendars that really are not theirs and causing havoc on other people's calendars.

Is there a way to tell VueMinder what specific user name to use to identify the calendars a user creates in the server DB? Right now it seems to be hard-wired to their login user name on their PC. Right now my only option is to create new users on each PC and re-install all their software and documents into the new user name. That seems like a pretty drastic thing to have to do just so that VueMinder can have a unique identifier in its DB for the user.

Help!

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi John, thank you for the information. When I designed the sharing feature, I assumed each user would have their own unique Windows login name, since that's been my experience with how most networks are configured. There's not really any other way to make it secure. If I added an option to pick a desired username instead of using the Windows login username, then someone could enter whatever username they wanted and possibly access calendars that they aren't permitted to access. I could add passwords and other safeguards, but that's opening a whole can of worms that I thought was elegantly solved by simply using the Windows login name and relying on Windows to handle the authentication and sharing permissions.

Which version of Windows are you using? You should be able to change the username without having to create a whole new user. For example, in Windows 7, go to the User Accounts in Control Panel. Click on Manage Another Account, select the one you want then click on Change Account Name.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

pintoj

Post by pintoj » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:09 pm

We are using a variety of Windows OSes (XP, Vista and 7) but in all of them just changing the user name doesn't change the user name that VueMinder uses when it installs. It still installs using the original user name that was created for the user. Which is why we are now going around and creating unique users on each PC and re-installing VueMinder and all their other software.

Maybe there could just be a warning to the user when they are installing the VueMinder software letting them know the user name it is going to be installed under and the consequences of not having a unique user name on the network if they plan on using the local network server to share their calendars. Just a thought for the next version. 8-)

Does it make sense that multiple users having the same user name on the network would cause problems with the sharing and syncing of shared calendars?

VMUser

Post by VMUser » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:42 pm

VueSoft wrote:When I designed the sharing feature, I assumed each user would have their own unique Windows login name, since that's been my experience with how most networks are configured. There's not really any other way to make it secure.
Oops, For the sake of other conveniences I'm always using the same Windows login name for all of the PCs in my small local network. Therefore I couldn't use a local VueMinder server at all?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:03 am

Does it make sense that multiple users having the same user name on the network would cause problems with the sharing and syncing of shared calendars?
Only if the users are getting confused and editing each others' calendars by mistake. It's possible the calendars have the same default name (which is derived from the username), so when the calendars are shared it's causing a lot of confusion.
Oops, For the sake of other conveniences I'm always using the same Windows login name for all of the PCs in my small local network. Therefore I couldn't use a local VueMinder server at all?
No, you can use the same username on different computers and still share calendars via VueMinder Server. For example, on my test network I have the same username on a number of computers. When I add a shared calendar from one computer, I can access and modify that calendar under the same login on another computer. It recognizes that I'm the owner of the calendar and allows sharing permission and full access from any computer on my network where I'm logged in under my username.

I believe the problem pintoj is running into is that there are a number of different people on the network with the same username (and probably the same shared calendar names). Each person is attempting to manage their own calendar, but because they have the same username, there's a lot of confusion.

It's fine if you know you created an event from one computer and you see that event on your shared calendar on a different computer where you are logged in under the same username. Since you know you created that event, you don't delete it. If someone else had the same login name as you, and thought they were looking at their own shared calendar but were actually looking at your shared calendar, then they might mistake the event for being incorrect and delete it. I think that's what is going on.
Dan Chartrand, Founder