Lost all my calendar info.

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Gogo

Lost all my calendar info.

Post by Gogo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:48 am

Windows 7 Home Premium.
VueMinder Pro (Trial Version)

Early this am I got hit with scareware. I had to go to Safe Mode, System Restore to the day before, and then use the solution a reader in this thread posted -

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 60b?page=1

to get rid of further problems because when my computer was restored the scareware had hidden some of my files so that I and/or the computer couldn't find them.

Now all is well as far as I can tell - did a full avast! free antivirus scan and an avast! boot scan, both turned up no problems.

The only problem I have is VueMinder - my calendar which had lots of major dates and things to do all year carefully placed on it by me - is now completely blank!!!

No other program seems to have any problem or is missing anything.

Please help. I'm hoping there's some way to get the info back.

If not, this is a serious problem with VueMinder Pro.

Gogo

Re: Lost all my calendar info.

Post by Gogo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:54 am

PS - After posting the above, just found the "Restore Data" listing under "File".

This makes me hopeful, and is a great feature if VueMinder automatically makes backups thru the day.

But will wait to hear from you before using, in case there's another way to get it back to the way it was before the scareware episode.

Gogo

Post by Gogo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:56 am

PPS - Would like to get Instant Notification of responses.

Went thru the User CP, but couldn't find where these setting are.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:45 am

Hi Gogo, can you clarify what you mean by "User CP"? If you're referring to the forum settings, you can subscribe to a topic by clicking the link at the bottom of the page. You can subscribe to an entire forum also by clicking the link at the bottom where all the forum threads are listed.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Gogo

Post by Gogo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:05 pm

Thanks for answering my "PPS" question.

But you've ignored my primary and very important issue in the original post: I've lost all my calendar data.

Would appreciate some help on this as soon as possible.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:16 pm

Hi Gogo, reading above I was under the impression that your data was lost due to some malware infection and that you had successfully restored the data. I apologize for misunderstanding.
:?

To recover your data, please go to the File menu and click the “Restore Data” command. Hopefully you’ll see a list of previous backups. Choose the most recent one (that indicates events are present) and click the Restore button.

If you don’t see any backup checkpoints, try searching your hard drive for files having an “vbackup” extension, or browse to the “Backups” subfolder of VueMinder’s private data folder. The path can be found in the Program Options window. You should see some backup files in that folder, unless you disabled automatic backups. Click the “Browse” button in the Restore Data window to open a vbackup file.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you’re unable to recover your data, or if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Gogo

Post by Gogo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:20 pm

Hi Dan,
To recover your data, please go to the File menu and click the “Restore Data” command. Hopefully you’ll see a list of previous backups. Choose the most recent one (that indicates events are present) and click the Restore button.
It appears that the malware wiped out all backups - "Restore Data" only has backups post malware infection.

As noted , no other program on my computer - at least as far as I am aware currently several days after the episode - suffered any data loss.

If you don’t see any backup checkpoints, try searching your hard drive for files having an “vbackup” extension
I used Start/Search Programs and Files, but nothing found.

or browse to the “Backups” subfolder of VueMinder’s private data folder. The path can be found in the Program Options window.
I have Windows 7 Home Premium. If you're referring to Windows 7, I'm not familiar with a Program Options window.
If you're referring to the Calendar itself, I can't find a Program Options.

Gogo

Post by Gogo » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:00 pm

Dan - Restore and then Browse worked - I was able to get my data back.

Thanks.

I'm impressed that Vue Minder does backups, which saved my data that was in the Calendar.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:07 pm

Hi Gogo, I'm glad to hear you were able to recover the data. VueMinder saves its data to a directory under the user profile (under C:\Users\YourLogin\AppData\Local). It's possible the malware only targeted the data in this location. Your other programs might save their data somewhere else, which is why they weren't affected.

As mentioned above, the data folder path can be found in the Program Options. This is accessed from the Options menu in the main window. Click Options -> Program. If desired, you can change the path by clicking the "..." button on the right-side of the "Data folder" field.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder