Problem with the time frame for "Available actions".

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Gogo

Problem with the time frame for "Available actions".

Post by Gogo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:43 am

When I set a New Event, I may opt for "Show a popup reminder" for 30 minutes before, and "Show a desktop alert" also for 30 minutes before the event.

Now the time for the Event has passed, but I haven't dealt with it yet - e.g., "Balance checkbook".
So when the popup reminder and desktop alert appear, I use the drop menu and now change the time frame from 30 minutes to "Snooze" for 1 hour on the popup reminder, and change the Snooze time for the desktop alert to 2 hours.

But they both appear again 30 minutes later, which is the time before the event that I originally set them for.

I had that problem with the Free VueMinder that I was using, and was hoping that it would be cured with the Pro version I'm trialing, but no change - the same problem exists.

It appears that the time they are originally set for is the time they will keep reappearing.
But that doesn't make sense, as the popup and desktop alerts wouldn't be providing a drop menu with a wide range of Snooze times.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Problem with the time frame for "Available actions".

Post by VueSoft » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:32 pm

I can't duplicate this, and I'm not sure I follow what you are explaining. If the reminder was originally scheduled to appear 30 minutes before the event, then how is it that you're initially snoozing the event after its start time has passed? Are you saying you leave the reminders displayed for 30 minutes, wait until after the event start time to snooze it, and that the reminder appears again 30 minutes later instead of 1 or 2 hours?

If you're seeing this problem for a recurring event, I believe this has been fixed for the next version. Otherwise, can you provide the exact steps you're following when you see the problem occur, so I can try duplicating it?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Gogo

Post by Gogo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:38 pm

E.g., I set a reminder for "Take a bath" for 9-26, and another for "Go for a walk" for 9-26.

Now I don't have time for these events, so I snooze "Take a bath" for 1 Day, and "Go for a Walk" for 1 Week.
And I have other events whose scheduled time has passed ("Check my phone messages", "Call the Dr.", etc.), and I set different snooze times for those as well.

What happens now is that e.g. even though I have set snooze times for "Take a bath" set to snooze for 1 Day, "Go for a Walk" snooze for 1 Week, "Call the Dr." snooze for 1 hour, all 3 of them pop up simultaneously at the shortest time I have specified - i.e., in this case, all 3 pop up together after 1 hour, because that's the shortest snooze time specified on any of the snoozing popups. Likewise for the snoozing desktop reminders.

Also - I need to double check the following - but I think that if I've specified a popup AND a desktop reminder for each of these, that all of the snoozing popups AND all of the snoozing desktop reminders all appear at the shortest time I've specified for any one of them from either category.
E.g. - one snoozing popup is set for "2 Hours". Every other snoozing popup and every snoozing desktop reminder is set for "8 Hours".
However, everything from both types of reminders pops up at 2 hours, because that is the shortest time specified in any of the snooze settings from both types of reminders.

But definitely the phenomena I described above exists within all the snoozing popups and within all the snoozing desktop reminders.

However, I think that both groups appear at whatever the shortest time specified on any one of these from either category.

I hope this has explained it clearly.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:54 pm

Hi Gogo, thank you for the clarification. I believe this has been fixed for the next version. Can you try the beta and let me know if you still see the problem? The beta is stable and contains a number or other bug corrections as well. It can be downloaded here:
http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... ?f=5&t=908
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Gogo

Post by Gogo » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi Dan,

As always, I appreciate your quick response time and excellent attention to customer issues, as well as the excellent product.
Hi Gogo, thank you for the clarification. I believe this has been fixed for the next version. Can you try the beta and let me know if you still see the problem?
The beta is much better.

There seems to still be one issue related to this.

As described previously, I set a "New Event" in VueMinder, and e.g. set a "Reminder" for 15 minutes before.

I don't have time to take care of the new event, so I now set the reminder popup for "4 Hours" rather than the 15 minutes it was initially set for.

The reminder popup appears 4 hours later.
But the time frame is reset to "15 Minutes", as it was initially.
Now if I want to again have the reminder popup in 4 hours, I have to reset the reminder time to "4 Hours".

Perhaps this is how you intended it.
However, certainly for me I would like the reminder time, once changed, to remain at the changed time frame.
I.e., it was initially pre-event set to remind me 15 minutes before the event.
But now that I reset it for 4 Hours to remind me, rather than the initial 15 minutes, the next time it appears I would like it to still be set at 4 Hours, so that I can just click "Snooze" again if I wish, rather than every time it reappears have to keep resetting it to 4 Hours (my current choice).

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:50 am

Hi Gogo, thank you for the feedback. Each reminder should remember its previous snooze length. The behavior you're seeing is not what was intended.

I've attempted to duplicate the problem, but I'm not seeing the problem. Each reminder correctly defaults to its previous snooze time.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Gogo

Post by Gogo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:53 am

VueSoft wrote:Hi Gogo, thank you for the feedback. Each reminder should remember its previous snooze length. The behavior you're seeing is not what was intended.

I've attempted to duplicate the problem, but I'm not seeing the problem. Each reminder correctly defaults to its previous snooze time.
Don't know why you can't duplicate it, but it does occur multiple times daily and drives me crazy.

It's the biggest (and only) flaw with this product in my experience.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:58 am

Hi Gogo, I believe I found what was causing the problem. Have you updated to version 10.0.1 yet? You can update by using the "Check for Updates" command on the Help menu. Please let me know if you still see the problem in 10.0.1.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Gogo

Post by Gogo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:28 am

Will update.

Thanks for the prompt response.

Gogo

Post by Gogo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:54 pm

I don't know which are "Popup"s and which are "Desktop reminders".

It appears you've fixed the problem for the small reminders which appear on the lower right.

The large reminders that appear more towards the middle of the screen - probably your "Desktop reminders" - apparently have a default of "8 Hours".

This is a persistent and annoying problem.

I have no idea why you can't duplicate the problem.
Set a few events, and specify both types of reminders. Make one reminder with 15 minutes for both types of reminders, make another reminder with different times - popup one time, desktop another time.
Make a half dozen events, and both types of reminders for each event.

When they appear as scheduled, set it so they now reappear at a later time, after the event time and date.

The large ones will always appear (almost always) giving "8 Hours" as the reminder time if one wishes to set the reminder again, rather than the last time one set for the reminder.
E.g., the time for my event is 15 minutes from now . I'd set a 15 minute reminders, popup and desktop.
They now appear, 15 minutes before the event.
I reset these for 2 hours (I do not change the event date and time). So they are now set to appear after the event time.
When they reappear 2 hours later, the time to remind is now showing 8 hours.
So if I want them to again reappear in 2 hours, I have to reset from 8 hours to 2 hours.
Rinse and repeat.

As mentioned, you seem to have now fixed the problem for the small reminders that appear on the lower right.
But the large reminder that appears center screen (approx.), keeps showing "8 Hours" as the remind time.
Just to be clear, it appears in the time frame it was scheduled to appear in.
But if I wish to click "Snooze", it is set for "8 Hours", even though I last had it set for a different time frame.

Again, no idea why you can't replicate this.