About SMS

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
condition

About SMS

Post by condition » Thu May 17, 2012 9:15 am

Hello I am trying vueminder and I have found it excellent. I have a question about SMS:

I have my own email program that I want to keep. My ISP provides me for free 50 SMS per month through a web interface. When I try to set up the SMS options and send a test SMS, vueminder pops up a window saying:

Code: Select all

Unable to send a test message.  Please ensure values are entered for the 
following:
Email address
Email server (SMTP)
Email user name
Email password
As I mentioned I have my own email program, and I want to proceed be reminded by SMS without having to setup email. My ISP SMS sending web interface is as follows:

login page

https://www.forthnet.gr/secure/webSMS/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fsecure%2fwebsms%2fdefault.aspx
after login page

https://www.forthnet.gr/secure/websms/default.aspx
My username is ......@ath.forthnet.gr and the password is 8 characters with mixed digits/letters. My mobile is a typical Greek mobile number consisting of 10 digits.

Can you please assist? Thanks

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: About SMS

Post by VueSoft » Thu May 17, 2012 10:32 pm

Hi condition, welcome to the forums. Unfortunately, VueMinder is not compatible with Forthnet Web SMS.

However, VueMinder includes a web-based SMS option that will work with any mobile carrier. Signup is free and you’ll get 5 message credits to test that it works. There’s no monthly contract or commitment – you can pay as you go.
http://www.smsmatrix.com/?signup

After signing up for an account, send an email to support@smsmatrix.com and ask them to enable international messaging on your account, since it might be disabled by default. After you get an account, enter your login and password in the SMS/Voice settings.

Additional documentation can be found in the page linked below. It does a much more thorough job of explaining how SMS works in VueMinder.
http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... tings.html

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

condition

Post by condition » Fri May 18, 2012 1:54 am

Thanks for your prompt reply and your welcome.

1. Another question in order to avoid registration and additional charges: can I sync with google calendar and have the SMS to be sent through google? Now I can sync with google calendar but although I have set the vueminder's reminder to send SMS, when I look the synced event in google calendar the reminder is set to popup a reminder window not SMS.

2. Also the email setup is necessary for sending SMS via vueminder?

3. Finally, is it possible to write some things/notes like a list that I have to finish in one day and this list to appear somewhere in the desktop (like desktop note) or attached to a program in order to see the list all the time?

Thanks.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri May 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Hi condition, in response to your questions:

1. This is not currently a feature. I have this on my list of planned improvements, but will require some redesign to prevent both VueMinder and Google Calendar from sending duplicate SMS reminders at the same time.

2. If you don't use SMS Matrix, VueMinder will try to send SMS via your mobile carrier's email-to-SMS gateway. The reminder is sent as an email and converted by the gateway into an SMS message. Hence the need to specify email settings. VueMinder can't send email if the settings aren't entered.

3. Have you tried "New -> Note" on the File menu? Notes can be pinned to dates so they'll appear on the desktop calendar. There's a "Notes" tab in the main window for listing all your notes.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

KKDESIGN

Post by KKDESIGN » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:15 am

Depending on your cell service provder, it's possible to send sms in email format, e.g. for verizon cellnumber, 10digits, 1111111111@vtext.com

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:29 pm

Yes, that's basically what VueMinder is doing when you use your own mobile carrier instead of SMS Matrix (which is why the email settings also need to be entered). Some carriers don't provide an email-to-SMS gateway, especially outside the United States.
Dan Chartrand, Founder