Duplicate Events and VueMinder 9.1.0

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Calenda

Duplicate Events and VueMinder 9.1.0

Post by Calenda » Sun May 06, 2012 5:54 am

Hi,

All my events show up doubled.
Let me know if you need more info

Thanks

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Duplicate Events and VueMinder 9.1.0

Post by VueSoft » Sun May 06, 2012 11:04 pm

Hi Calenda, are you syncing with Google Calendar? Does deleting the calendar from VueMinder and re-adding it using the "Add Google Calendar" command on the File menu fix the problem?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Calenda

Post by Calenda » Mon May 07, 2012 4:08 pm

Thank you. The problem is fixed!

enigmatic_user

Post by enigmatic_user » Sun May 13, 2012 9:51 am

Hi,

nevertheless there seems to be a problem with event duplication in version 9.1.0 (see http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... ?f=5&t=840). I'm using the Pro version, and I'm synchronizing it with my Android smartphone via Google for quite some time now. Yesterday I noticed that most of the events in my "Private" calendar are duplicated. Even for events that lie back several years, there's now one completed and one not completed version. Also, an event I "snoozed" several times now bugs me every few minutes although I always choose to close it (set it to "completed").

// Edit: I just see that the duplicate events don't have a reminder (the original ones have desktop alerts), so this setting isn't copied. Maybe this helps finding the bug.

Since I didn't use the Calendar in my smartphone or Google Calendar actively for at least two weeks, I guess this is caused by VueMinder.

The duplicate events show up in Google Calendar, too, as well as in my smartphone, so I don't think it would help me to follow your suggestion to add the Google calendar after deleting the local one in VueMinder.

Is there a way to delete the duplicate events without having to kill them one by one?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Jan
Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun May 13, 2012 10:34 pm

Hi Jan, I believe the problem that caused the duplicates has been fixed. It was related to upgrading from the previous version, and the transition from syncing with the old Google Calendar API to the new one. I'll let you know when the next version is available.

Unfortunately, this won't help with removing duplicates that were already generated. The easiest way to fix the problem would be to restore the data in VueMinder and then re-enable syncing with Google Calendar. Please try the following steps:

1. Open the Calendar Properties in VueMinder and disable syncing with Google Calendar by unchecking the box at the top of the Google Calendar tab.

2. Open Google Calendar in your web browser. Under “My calendar”, click “settings”. Delete the calendar that contains all the duplicates.

3. In VueMinder, click the “Restore Data” command. Restore to a checkpoint that was created before the duplicates were generated.

4. When VueMinder restarts, open the Calendar Properties and re-enable syncing with Google Calendar, if it isn’t already. VueMinder will upload your calendar (without duplicates) to Google Calendar and subsequent syncing should work correctly. Note, you might need to update your Android to sync with the new calendar.

5. Reload the Google Calendar web page. The calendar should be added to the calendar list. Click the calendar name to see the events and verify there aren’t any duplicates.

After following the steps above, you should no longer see any duplicates being generated using v9.1.0.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

enigmatic_user

Post by enigmatic_user » Sun May 13, 2012 11:07 pm

Hi Dan,

thank you very much for fixing it and for the step-by-step guide for removing the duplicate entries. Since I'm not totally sure when this started and I'm constantly adding events, I'll rather delete the duplicates manually - removing the not completed events in the "Events" tab doesn't take as much time as I thought. So as long as this doesn't occur again, everything's fine. :)

Cheers,
Jan
Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat May 19, 2012 8:34 am

Version 9.1.1 is now available. This version fixes the problem with duplicate events sometimes being generated after updating from version 9.0.3 or earlier. It also adds some additional safeguards to prevent duplicate events from being generated. To update, click the "Check for Updates" command on the Help menu.
Dan Chartrand, Founder