The beta is now completed and version 9.1 has been officially released. It can be downloaded here:
I'm pleased to announce that beta versions are now available for version 9.1! See below for the complete list of updates.
The most significant change is related to syncing with Google Calendar. VueMinder has been modified to use the latest Google Calendar API (v3), which should fix a number of syncing problems that have been recently noted. I believe Google has been making changes to their servers to support the new v3 API, which has inadvertently broken some of the functionality of the v2 API, resulting in the syncing problems. The v2 API has been deprecated and Google is no longer supporting that version. The v3 API, at least in the initial testing, appears to be much more reliable.
Updating VueMinder to use this version of the API basically required a full rewrite of the syncing code, since the new API is vastly different that the previous one. You should see a big improvement when syncing with Google Calendar.
Due to daily query limits Google has placed on VueMinder's access to Google Calendar, the Lite version has been modified to only support automatic syncing with Google Calendar every 15 minutes, instead of almost instantly like the Pro and Ultimate versions. Syncing can be manually commanded at any time by using the F5 key or by right-clicking the calendar and selecting "Sync Calendar" from the popup menu. A sync button has also been added to the status bar, next to where it shows when the calendar was last synced.
On the plus side, all versions will get the new ability to select background images for dates in the Month view. I'm really happy with how this feature has turned out, especially the image search feature (right-click a date, select the expand the "Day Background" menu, and then select "Search" to see what I mean). The Pro/Ultimate versions also get the ability to link background images to events, via the Appearance tab of the Event Editor. Also, the View menu gets a new "Color Event Sidebar" command for allowing simultaneous viewing of colors. For example, when viewing colors based on calendar, you can get a priority color sidebar.
A series of blog articles has been written to describe the most significant improvements in more detail, with plenty of screenshots to show off all the new capabilities. The articles can be read here:
http://www.vueminder.com/index.php?mact ... eturnid=61
Note, if you're updating from a previous version, VueMinder will attempt to convert previously synced Google Calendars to the new API. If the calendars belong to other Google Calendar accounts (not the one you're logged into), VueMinder will be unable to locate the calendar and a message will appear asking if you want to re-add the calendar. If you select "Yes", the local calendar will be removed and the "Add Google Calendar" command will appear. If the calendar isn't listed, click the "Use a different account" command in the Google account drop-down list located in the upper-left corner, and then follow the instructions for syncing with other accounts.
The full release notes can be found below and in the posts that follow.
VueMinder Lite 9.1 Beta 6
Here's a summary of the updates in the Lite version. These improvements are also in the Pro and Ultimate versions.
- Added the ability to select background colors or pictures (both local and web) for dates in the Month view.
- Added an option when opening a recurring event to edit the selected occurrence and all that follow, without affecting previous occurrences.
- Added the ability to toggle calendar overlay mode in the Month view. When overlay mode is turned off, each calendar will be displayed separately. A horizontal scrollbar will allow switching between the displayed calendars.
- Improved syncing with Google Calendar to use the new v3 API, which fixes many syncing problems.
- Improved syncing with Google Calendar to include calendar and event colors.
- Improved the Day and Week views when overlay mode is disabled, to allow grouping of calendar columns within date columns, or vice versa.
- Improved the visual look-and-feel of the user interface. Toned down the appearance of lesser-used components, and made important components, such as the Settings button in the upper-right corner, more pronounced and easier to find.
- Improved the appearance editor to make it more clear how to achieve a solid background with a different color border, rather than a gradient blend.
- Improved the text-to-speech voice reminders to speak more clearly.
- Improved the status bar with a Sync Now button, shown to the right of the text indicating when a calendar was last synced.
- Corrected the Month view to allow more events to fit within the available space, both when displayed on the screen and when printing. In some cases, white space was shown even when there was enough space for another event to appear.
- Corrected the Desktop Calendar to not be intermittently hidden when the Show Desktop command in Windows is used.
- Corrected a window refresh problem when using a non-Aero theme in Windows Vista/7 and windows are closed while displayed over the Desktop Calendar. A ghost of the closed window would appear within the Desktop Calendar.
- Corrected the popup reminder window to activate newly added reminders if other reminders are already displayed. This will ensure the new reminders have any associated sounds played.
- Corrected the Day view on the Desktop Calendar to restore the previously selected timeslot length.
- Corrected clicking of events in the Week view to refresh the Month and Day views so they show the selected event's date. This is most evident when the tabs are arranged side-by-side.
- Corrected a problem with importing events from ICS files that were previously exported by VueMinder, if any of the exported events have reminders scheduled to appear after the event starting time, rather than before.
- Removed the Redo command, due to a number of problems introduced when redoing changes, especially if calendars are synced or changes to recurring events are undone/redone.
- Many minor improvements and corrections.
The Pro version includes all the improvements made to the Lite version. In addition, it adds the following...
- Added the ability to select background colors or pictures (both local and web) for events, via the Appearance tab of the Event Editor.
- Added a "Color Event Sidebar" command to the View menu, for allowing simultaneous display of calendar, category, priority, or location colors.
- Improved the Distribution List Editor. The contact lists on the left and right side of the window can now be grouped, sorted, searched, and filtered. All the columns shown in the Contacts tab of the main window are also available.
- Corrected syncing with Outlook, when events are deleted from Outlook. The events were not being deleted from VueMinder when syncing.
- Corrected importing event from Excel or CSV files if there is extra white space in the column header names.
- Corrected importing events from Excel or CSV files if some rows have calendar names specified but other rows have blank calendar names. The rows with blank calendar names should be imported into the calendar name specified on the Import window, but were not.
- Corrected importing tasks from Excel or CSV files. Any blank rows were being imported as "New Appointment".
- Many minor improvements and corrections.
The Ultimate version includes all the improvements made to the Lite and Pro versions. In addition, it adds the following...
- Corrected a problem with duplicate custom fields sometimes being generated when publishing/subscribing the same calendar. The duplicates also could not be removed.