VM hogs processor if no network

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
ptoye

VM hogs processor if no network

Post by ptoye » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:42 am

While playing around with my hardware I found that if there's no network connection (or possibly no network card) VM seems to get into a loop and hogs one of my processors (fortunately I've got 3 others). Not a major bug in my case, but might impact single-processor systems.

I'm running Windows 7 home premium 64-bit if that helps.
Peter

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: VM hogs processor if no network

Post by VueSoft » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi ptoye, thank you for the information. I've attempted to replicate the behavior, but when I disable my internet connection I'm seeing VueMinder continue to use 0% CPU.

Maybe what you're seeing is related to your configuration. Are you syncing with online calendars and/or other computers on your local network? If so, what is the sync frequency for each calendar? I'll try to get my configuration as close to yours as possible, so I can see if I can replicate the problem.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

ptoye

Post by ptoye » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:39 am

No other calendars on this network. I've only got the Lite version, so I don't think I can use the sync facility!

I'll do a few more investigations when I have time.
Peter

ptoye

Post by ptoye » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:39 am

OK, I tried switching off VM at bootup time, and booted in with out a network connection. VM hogged a processor again. So I looked at it with Process Explorer and got the attached. If there's any more info I can get you, please ask and I'll get it.
Attachments
Screenshot of Process Explorer.
Screenshot of Process Explorer.
VMHog.png (448.57 KiB) Viewed 6719 times
Peter

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi Peter, thank you for the information. I've tried repeating the same steps you described on all my test computers, but I'm not able to duplicate the problem. I'm not seeing any difference in CPU utilization, which is close to 0%. Since I can't duplicate the problem, I think it might have something to do with your Windows installation or some other configuration difference.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

ptoye

Post by ptoye » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:21 am

Odd. Don't understand it, as it happens every time here. It's not a major issue, as normally I have the network card (a Netgear wireless adapter) plugged in. I also saw from the Process Explorer that it was doing a lot of I/O requests. My guess us that it's trying to contact your base for updates and failing. And trying again. And again.
Peter

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:00 am

Hi Peter, could you try unchecking the "Automatically check for updates" option in the Program Options window, and then restart VueMinder with the network connection disabled? Do you still see the problem, or does this fix it?

Also, what happens if you disable your network connection while VueMinder is running? Do you only see the problem if the network connection is disabled before VueMinder is started?
Dan Chartrand, Founder

ptoye

Post by ptoye » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:08 pm

Did the first - made no difference.

Disabled the network by ejecting the USB connection in software. No processor-hogging.

But, slightly interesting, when I replugged the USB connection in again, the hog started! But the network driver didn't start.

I now have a feeling that it's some sort of unwanted interaction between the software and my network card driver, which has a lot of problems: doesn't always start up properly, especially after being disabled (it took about 3 reboots and a replug to get the connection up again). Anyway, it's not worth more of your time investigating - I just thought you might have an well-known solution. As an old software developer (and device driver writer) I know how difficult these things are to debug.

If you're interested, here's a screenshot of the I/O activity according to ProcExp.

19 May. I see that according to the release notes the latest VM release cures this (I've not tested it, though!). Thanks.
Attachments
VMHog2.png
VMHog2.png (37.39 KiB) Viewed 6699 times
Peter