Minimizing Overlying Window Leaves Ghost on Desktop Calendar

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
multinaturalist

Minimizing Overlying Window Leaves Ghost on Desktop Calendar

Post by multinaturalist » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:28 pm

When my desktop calendar is being displayed transparently, and I double click a day to bring up the New Event dialog, if I then cancel this dialog (clicking 'X' in upper right) without saving it, it leaves a ghost image of the dialog box over the calendar (the functioning of the calendar itself is not affected by the ghost). This does not occur when I click on "Save and Close."

Displaying another program window over the calendar (or a new New Event dialogue which I "Save") will remove the ghost.

But the same thing happens with other windows (not belonging to VueMinder) displayed over the desktop calendar (the effect is not unique to 'cancelling' a New Event dialog). If my browser window, for instance, is open, and I click on a day in the desktop calendar (visible to the side of the browser window), and then minimize the browser window, a ghost of the browser window remains superimposed on the desktop calendar (and only the calendar). If I minimize the browser window without first clicking on the desktop calendar, the ghosting does not occur.

This may be a problem of my own video card, however. I have an Nvidia GX 460 video card (with tons of vram), and am running Windows 7 64-bit (tons of ram), with Intel i7. I'm not running in Aero mode, however.

multinaturalist

Re: Minimizing Overlying Window Leaves Ghost on Desktop Cale

Post by multinaturalist » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:24 pm

Now I'm thinking I may have a problem with my installation of VueMinder. Here is a second problem which seems to be related to the first, described above.

Hyperlinks inserted into Tasks don't work. But worse, when I hover over a task in my Desktop Calendar, the Task Description pops up. The hyperlink in the description looks like it should be live and clickable (blue underlined), but when I click on it (or anywhere in the popup), my Desktop Calendar freezes.

Now, if I display any other window over the Desktop Calendar, the popup Task Description disappears and the Desktop Calendar goes back to working just fine (I can move through it, create tasks or Events, etc.).

The problem seems to be related to the first problem because any window opened in front of the Desktop Calendar (and minimized again) will reset the Desktop Calendar and bring back to life.

multinaturalist

Post by multinaturalist » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:46 am

Correction: my video card is an Nvidia GTX 460M
I rebooted my system with no change to the ghosting and freezing effects.

I also purchased the program, downloaded the License Installer and ran it. This should have refreshed any corrupt file resulting from the trial installation. So my installation should be okay.

By the way, this product is so close to being exactly what I'm looking for, I'm confident you guys will work out the problems. I'm enjoying finding out what all VueMinder can do.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:37 am

Hi multinaturalist, thank you for the feedback. I've found what is causing the "ghost" image of closed windows. I believe this only happens when using certain non-Aero themes (such as "Windows Classic") in Windows Vista or 7.

As for hyperlinks in the tooltip balloon, those won't be clickable, due to the way tooltips work in Windows. However, attempting to click the tooltip should not result in VueMinder locking up. I believe I've found what is causing this, and again it's a problem only when using certain non-Aero themes.

Corrections have been made for the next version. In the meantime, if you switch to an Aero theme, the problems should go away.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

multinaturalist

Post by multinaturalist » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:29 am

Thank you, Dan.

I noticed, however, that when running in a Windows Aero mode, that if I click on the "Show Desktop" pseudo-button on my taskbar to minimize all open windows, then click it again to restore these windows, the VueMinder desktop calendar is superimposed on all of the restored windows. This isn't a very big problem, though, as clicking anywhere on the screen restores the proper z-order of the display.

multinaturalist

Post by multinaturalist » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:37 am

Regarding the above problem while using Windows Aero theme, the calendar does not superimpose on the restored windows if, when the desktop is clean, I click on the calendar before restoring the other windows. It only happens if I hide open windows then redisplay them without activating the calendar.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:53 pm

Hi multinaturalist, thank you for the information. This has been corrected for the next version. The desktop calendar will remain at the bottom of the z-order (and visible) when the Show Desktop button on the taskbar is clicked. I finally figured out the Win32 functions to make it work the way I intended.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

TAG

Post by TAG » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:12 pm

I'm having the same ghosting problem after installing the pro trial version, upgrading from the free version. Switching to an aero theme didn't help.

The ghost first appears at start up, after hitting continue from the buy box. I can get the full calendar by clicking view calendar from the task bar icon but the ghost reappears over my desktop when I close the calendar and I can't get rid of it.

I'm running windows 7 64 bit.

:cry:

multinaturalist

Post by multinaturalist » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:58 pm

Tag, apparently Dan has a fix in the works either for an update or the next version. In the meantime, to see the Desktop Calendar clearly, I click on the Windows' "Show Desktop" icon (not the VueMinder icon) to the right of the tray and date & time on the task bar. This minimizes all open windows & seems to always display the Desktop Calendar clearly. Clicking the "Show Desktop" button again to restore the open windows, however, brings back the ghosting...but that is remedied now simply by clicking somewhere on the screen. This is my experience, at least. It's an annoyance, but I've found the "Show Desktop" icon to be very useful in this matter.

TAG

Post by TAG » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:05 pm

Thanks. Your solution works.