My contacts disapeared!

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Franci
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:21 am

My contacts disapeared!

Post by Franci » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:53 am

Today when I started working, I realised that Vueminder has misplaced all my contacts. So I checked in my backup folder and saw, that they dissapeared in the beginning of this month. And even when I try to restore on a previous dates, it does not restore contacts and also I cannot import contacts from backup. Now I am stuck and don't know what to do...

Franci

User avatar
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand
Posts: 3851
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:39 am
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Contact:

Re: My contacts disapeared!

Post by VueSoft » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:15 am

Hi Franci, I apologize for the problem. The contacts should be restored from your backup, so I'm not sure what the problem is. If possible, could you send your backup file (the one that indicates contacts are present in the backup list) to support@vueminder.com? I'll check to see if the contacts are still present, and will try to determine why they aren't being restored. All data will be kept strictly confidential and will be removed from my computer as soon as I've finished.

If you can't send the data, try this:

1. Rename your backup file to give it a .zip extension.

2. Extract the file.

3. After extracting, there will be a file named "Contacts.bin". This is the file that contains your contact data. The size should be larger than 0 KB, if it has any data.

4. If the file appears to have some data in it, make sure VueMinder is fully exited and then copy the extracted Contacts.bin file to the folder where VueMinder is saving its data. The path is specified in the Program Options.

5. Restart VueMinder. You should see your contacts.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Franci
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:21 am

Re: My contacts disapeared!

Post by Franci » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:45 am

The problem is within the server…

I copied my contact as you instructed and after everything is done, I opened the program and as I was checking my contact sheet, I briefly saw my contacts before they disappeared. On the second try, I first disconnected my computer from the network and voila - every contact from backup was intact. Until I connected my computer back on.

To solve the problem I am sending you requested backup file and also the next backup which has already »lost« contacts. There is definitely something wrong with server sync, probably also because I cumbersomely updated Vueminder server from 1.00 to 1.04 in that period.

In our company after 9.0 (or 9.1) version was released, we started to experience syncing problems with calendars between different computers. To better understand the problem, I will try explain how Vueminder is connected and then why I updated server.

When the problems started, 5 computers were using vueminder pro (4 payed and one test version) and my computer Vueminder ultimate (test version), which I just started testing. Every computer had at least one calenda, which were on the server and everybody could change read it and change it. After a while (when all the computers were slowly updated to the latest version) the coordinator’s computer stopped seeing all the changes made by the other computers calendar. In the same calendar he saw some changes but not all of them. And the same problem seeing partial changes was also noticeable on my computer. So I investigated the problem and after a while (checking connections, cleaned server database, checking if every comp is on the same version…) I realized there is probably something wrong vith Vueminder server so I decided to update it.

Because there is no easy update button I had a glich trying to update the version. I restarted server computer (and disconnected every other comp. to the server) and just installed newer vesion. The first time I tried, installation did not work properly (it got stuck in the first installation bracket), and the same happened also on the second try. But on the third try (after again restaring...) the installation went through. So I thought everything is ok.

After the finished with update, I cleaned server database on every computer and the syncing problem got resolved. But now my calendar contact started bugging me. Somewhere in between I also updated coordinator’s comp. to ultimate edition, to see if we need extra features. Maybe this is also the problem.

Nice regards
Franci Kokalj

User avatar
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand
Posts: 3851
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:39 am
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Contact:

Re: My contacts disapeared!

Post by VueSoft » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi Franci, thank you for the information.
Somewhere in between I also updated coordinator’s comp. to ultimate edition, to see if we need extra features.
Yes, I believe this may be related to what you're seeing. The Ultimate version allows contact data to be shared. However, if you have a mix of Ultimate and Pro installations, it's possible the Pro versions are incorrectly removing the contact data from the database, resulting in the contacts being removed from the Ultimate installation. This shouldn't happen and I'll work on fixing it as soon as possible.

In the meantime, in the Ultimate version, go to the Sharing Options (via the Options menu) and uncheck the "Share contact data" box. I believe this will fix the behavior.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Franci
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:21 am

Re: My contacts disapeared!

Post by Franci » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:47 am

It's working as expected. Thanks for helping!

Post Reply