Google Calendar Sync doesn't work for me

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
enigmatic_user

Google Calendar Sync doesn't work for me

Post by enigmatic_user » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:46 pm

Hello,

I read the more current threads regarding Google Calendar Sync, but I can't get this to work, as it seems.

I have three VueMinder Pro (9.0.2) calendars that I'd like to push to Google Calendar for synchronizing with my smartphone. I opened the properties of the calendar with the fewest entries (63 altogether, most of them completed), clicked on the Google Calendar Tab, chose "Synchronize with Google Calendar", entered username and password, chose "Automatically" as sync frequency and "2-way" as sync direction and pressed the "Sync Now" button. In the status bar, I was told that the calendar had started synchronizing; after a while the message disappeared, so obviously the sync task was completed. Now at the right side of the status bar, I'm told that the calendar has been "Synced with Google Calendar 24.02.2012 18:12:17" (German time).

In Google Calendar, the synced calendar shows up in the list of calendars (and in its settings I'm told that it has been "Created with VueMinder"), but whatever I do, no events are shown. Apart from using the reload button of the browser and clicking on "More > Update" (or whatever it is in English), I even logged out of my Google account and logged in again. Of course the calendar is activated in Google Calendar, I even tried the "Show only this calendar" option.

I found the thread http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... 681&p=2805 and tried that two times, but that didn't help either.

Is there anything I forgot to do? :?

// Edit: I just forgot to mention that events I add in Google Calendar do show up in VueMinder some seconds later.

Just another question regarding this: In the VueMinder calendar properties, there's an option "Don't sync events created more than x days ago". Does this really mean the creation time of the event? So if I entered an event for tomorrow three months ago and choose 60 days here, will this not be synced? To be sure to sync all events that might be important for me in the future, do I have to choose "9999 days" for the initial synchronization?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Jan
Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

enigmatic_user

Re: Google Calendar Sync doesn't work for me

Post by enigmatic_user » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:58 pm

Hm, I tried it once again; this time I chose to not include reminders. The events now showed up in Google Calendar. Shouldn't this have been fixed in version 9.0.2? :?

Also, I tried this option before, but maybe some other setting was different.

Cheers,
Jan

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:42 pm

Hi Jan, thank you for the feedback. I believe I've found what was causing this problem. A correction has been made for the next version. I'll post a reply when it's available to download.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

enigmatic_user

Post by enigmatic_user » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:55 pm

Great, thank you very much! :)

Could you please also answer my question regarding the creation time?
enigmatic_user wrote:In the VueMinder calendar properties, there's an option "Don't sync events created more than x days ago". Does this really mean the creation time of the event? So if I entered an event for tomorrow three months ago and choose 60 days here, will this not be synced? To be sure to sync all events that might be important for me in the future, do I have to choose "9999 days" for the initial synchronization?
Cheers,
Jan

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:57 pm

The option refers to the creation time of Google Calendar events. It is not used for locally created events.

In case you're curious, VueMinder will query Google Calendar for all events created (or edited) within a specified date range. The larger the date range, the more events that get returned. That's why this option is provided, to decrease the number of events returned and improve the performance of syncing.

You could initially set the value to 9999, so all events sync (just be aware it might take a while). After the first sync, the option is no longer used. VueMinder will only look for events that have been added/modified/deleted since the time of the previous sync. I'll remove this option from the Calendar Properties window, to avoid confusion.

I hope that clarifies the option. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

enigmatic_user

Post by enigmatic_user » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:13 am

Thank you very much for the explanation.
VueSoft wrote:The option refers to the creation time of Google Calendar events. It is not used for locally created events.

You could initially set the value to 9999, so all events sync (just be aware it might take a while). After the first sync, the option is no longer used. VueMinder will only look for events that have been added/modified/deleted since the time of the previous sync.
Well, in my case this isn't necessary, then - I just wanted the VueMinder events to show up in Google Calendar. But this would be something I'd like to see on the help page. ;)
VueSoft wrote:I'll remove this option from the Calendar Properties window, to avoid confusion.
But then it won't be possible to sync all events anymore...? I don't think that's better. Just add an explanation to the help file (and the VueMinder GUI, if you like), that should be enough.

Cheers,
Jan