Sort Event list by "next popup/alert reminder time"

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!
daniel347x

Sort Event list by "next popup/alert reminder time"

Post by daniel347x » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:10 pm

Hello -

Would it be possible to add a new column to the Events list view - "Next desktop alert / popup reminder time" - a datetime field? That way, it would be possible to sort by this column and see all upcoming reminders, in order. This would be similar to the little window that appears when you hover the mouse over the tray icon - but it would include all events, including those into following days, and it would be in the main Event list window. It would also account for any events that had been "snoozed" to properly show the actual time the reminder will next be displayed, including the snooze (... just as the hover window already does).

Currently, I can achieve this effect by "grouping by" the Completed flag to get rid of the completed events from the view, and then sorting by the "Reminder" field. However, this method is not ideal, because of the extra step involved in the "group by completed" field, and because there is text preceding the actual date in the "Reminder" window ("Popup reminder will be displayed..." and "Desktop reminder will be displayed...").

At the same time, it would be useful if there was a single checkbox to show/hide "completed" events in the Event List window - to save the hassle of "grouping by" completed tasks, just to remove them from the view.

(My previous program, Calendarscope, never had the feature of sorting by "next reminder time", which was an incessant hassle because I would have to do a full-text search to try to dig up a reminder that I knew was set to go off the next day - which forced me to remember some portion of the exact text in the reminder, or failing that, to scan visually through hundreds of reminders that were listed in essentially random order. The lack of this feature in Calendarscope is one of the major things that has driven me away from that program (though there are also other reasons). VueMinder is an excellent program!)

Thanks,
Dan

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Sort Event list by "next popup/alert reminder time"

Post by VueSoft » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:17 pm

Hi Dan, thanks for the suggestion. I've added this to my to-do list and will let you know when it's completed.

In the meantime, there is a "Recent Reminders" window which will show a sortable list of recently snoozed or dismissed reminders. This window can be accessed via the Tools menu. Unfortunately, it won't list upcoming reminders that haven't been processed yet, but it might help you find reminders that you know were snoozed.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA