Synchronize "snoozed" reminders (Google Calendar / iCal)?

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
daniel347x

Re: Synchronize "snoozed" reminders (Google Calendar / iCal)

Post by daniel347x » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:04 pm

Excellent! When I first read your posting, I assumed there was some inherent limitation that prevented access outside the LAN that was not as simple as providing the WAN IP (or using DynDNS to automatically route to the correct IP, as I do) and simply opening a port on the router.

This seems like a major feature to me - for users who can supply a dedicated machine as a server. It seems that VueMinder is already set up to allow for full synchronization between multiple computers over the internet. Perhaps you should advertise this more heavily.

Looking to the future for VueMinder in terms of synchronization between multiple computers, it seems there are two directions you could go:

(1) Enhance the server capabilities to "embed" a server within each instance, and provide a thin online account framework so that novice users simply create an account and login to that account from VueMinder on every machine, and all machines are then fully synchronized among themselves; advanced users could bypass the online account and provide IP's of other machines they'd like to sync with.

(2) Continue to improve iCal support to provide as full synchronization capabilities as possible without requiring VueMinder Server. (For features that iCal does not provide, you could provide those by enhancing the .csv support).

Just some thoughts -
Thanks again,
Dan.

daniel347x

Post by daniel347x » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:14 pm

... In fact, this is such a major feature, in my opinion, that I suggest you rewrite the Web site pages discussing VueMinder Server (including the download page) to state something such as: "VueMinder Server allows your calendar/s to be shared with other computers over the internet, if you make at least one of your computers available over the internet (for example, using http://www.dyndns.org, or just keeping track of the IP address of your computer and opening a port in your router)".

... and then putting a visible link to the "VueMinder Server" section of the download page smack at the top where it's clearly visible.

Just a thought.

daniel347x

Post by daniel347x » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:46 am

My apologies for so many posts.

I have just set up VueMinder Server, and connected a calendar over the internet successfully. It works! Thanks.

However - in this case as well, I notice that snoozed reminders are not synchronized between calendars.

If/when that feature is enabled, I will use VueMinder Server.

Until then - I have arrived at a slick plan whereby I will run the USB version of VueMinder, except that I will run it not from a USB device, but instead I will run it from a regular folder on my computer. However, this folder will be synchronized (using DropBox, or whatever) with my other computers, and I will be sure to run VueMinder by hand so that it is never running on two computers at the same time. This way, I'm sure to be synchronized between machines.

Thanks again for reading all of my postings.

Dan.

Pastafarian

Post by Pastafarian » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi Dan (the VueSoft one),

sorry for warming this up, but is there a solution in sight (using google, not VM Server)? I'm waiting for this feature, too.
Maybe, if google does not support that directly, it might be possible to manipulate the reminders instead. For example, modify the date if snoozed and remove the reminder if dismissed.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Alex

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:34 pm

Hi Alex, I'm planning to add the option to sync reminder snooze/dismiss status through Google Calendar. I'll post a reply when this improvement is completed.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Pastafarian

Post by Pastafarian » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:59 am

Hi Dan,

I'm happy to hear that, thanks for your efforts.

Best wishes,
Alex