Vueminder quit working

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
leott

Vueminder quit working

Post by leott » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:01 am

I had vueminder 9.0, worked good for couple of months. Stopped working last week. Would not open. I uninstalled and tried to reinstall. Reinstall would not work. I downloaded vueminder lite just to see if it was my copy of vueminder. Lite version will not install either. any suggestions welcomed.

Ron

Re: Vueminder quit working

Post by Ron » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:50 pm

You don't provide much information (such as the windows version you are using, or the error message (if any)), so I can't tell if your problem is the same as the one I have had in the past. (See This Topic).

My problem was solved by running the "Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Standalone Installer)".

You can find more info and a download link on This Microsoft Page.

Ron

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi leott, welcome to the forums. If Ron's advice doesn't fix it, there could be something wrong with the data. In that case, try resetting your data and settings using the utility linked below:
http://www.vueminder.com/download/ResetData.zip

After resetting the data and restarting VueMinder, use the “Restore Data” command on the File menu to restore from a backup. Try to pick a backup that was generated before you started seeing the problem.

Note, I’m assuming you didn’t disable the automatic backup feature, which generates a backup of the data every 8 hours (by default). If you don’t see any backup checkpoints, search your hard drive for files having a “vbackup” extension, or browse to the “Backups” subfolder of VueMinder’s private data folder. The path can be found in the Program Options window. You should see some backup files in that folder, unless you changed the backup settings.

Please let me know if that doesn't fix the problem.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

leott

Post by leott » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:49 am

Sorry for lack of details. I am using windows xp. Had vueminder pro. Uninstalled and cannot re-install so there is no backup needed. I used manual backup anyway, exported file (which I still have). However, I cannot install my copy of vueminder pro or the vueminder lite found on the website (testing if my copy of vueminder pro was corrupted when I stored it). When trying to install, it looks to get to last 5 percent of installing and stops. Error message: vueminder cannot be installed.

I do not have net 4 on my computer and never did have although vueminder pro has worked for the past couple of months. System Requirements stated for vueminder on website: microsoft net 3.5 sp1 (which I have)

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:07 pm

Hi leott, thanks for the information. Please download the msi installer using the link below:
http://www.vueminder.com/download/VueMinderLatest.msi

After downloading, open a command line and "cd" to the folder where the msi file was saved. Next, use the command below to start the installation. This will generate a log file.
msiexec /i VueMinderLatest.msi /L* logfile.txt

It will probably get to 95% again and fail. When it does, exit the installer and then send logfile.txt as an email attachment to support(@)vueminder.com. The file does not contain any personal information. However, it should provide me the details I need to determine where the installation is failing and what might be causing the failure.

If I had to guess, based on what you've described, I'd say you have some serious Windows XP registry issues going on, or maybe some .NET Framework problems. Reinstalling the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 might fix it.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

leott

Post by leott » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:22 am

Guess I do not know how to run install of file above and logfile. I tried to install file, again it stopped at 95 percent installed. I could not find a log file, no folder for vueminder was put on my computer.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:16 am

Did you run "cmd"? The command provided above should generate a log file. You need to run it from a command line.

Maybe the Lite USB version would be a better fit. It doesn't need to be installed. You can download it here:
http://www.vueminder.com/index.php?page ... d-lite-usb

After downloading, unzip the file to wherever you want it to be located. Open the folder and double-click "Start VueMinder".
Dan Chartrand, Founder

leott

Post by leott » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Lite version does not install either. I do not know how to get cmd line?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:59 pm

The Lite USB version linked above doesn't need to be installed. You just unzip it and then double-click the file named "Start VueMinder" to start it.

If you still want to try installing the non-USB version, under Start->Run (or the search box if using Windows 7), type "cmd" to open a command line. Type "cd" followed by the name of the folder where the msi file is located, wrapped in quotes if there are any spaces. Then type the full msiexec command provided above. A log file will be generated to the same folder as the msi file.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

leott

Post by leott » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:38 pm

When I get more time next Monday, I will try and get a report of what is happening. I tried to install vueminder lite last week and again today. It does not install or work? I realize that on usb there is no need to install. When unzipping file and clicking on start vueminder, I get error message that it cannot be opened? The error message is to microsoft. it is very long. I can read it but does not allow copying or I would post it.

Vueminder Pro worked on my computer for 8-9 months. Loved it, have no idea why it does not now? Great product. Thanks for all the time you have put into my problem which may not be solvable.