Server Offline

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
macbeth

Server Offline

Post by macbeth » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:12 pm

Wondering if anyone has thought on this; I have four pcs networked and am trying to share a calendar over a local network. 3 out of 4 pcs work fine and can access the shared calendar. The fourth I am going nuts trying to figure out why my shared calendar doesn't show up in the list when I click "add a shared calendar from a local network". I have removed my antivirus software, turned off the firewall, the pc does everything else network related with no problem ie file sharing. It can also access sql server no problem to use another database. BTW the server name does show up when I click on "sharing" in Vueminder. What is it about this laptop that is different from the others?If anyone has thought on this I would love to hear them, thank you in advance!

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Server Offline

Post by VueSoft » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:08 pm

Hi macbeth, welcome to the forums. This is just a shot in the dark, but did you modify the default calendar permission settings? If you set the default permission to "No Access", and you log into the laptop using a different account name, VueMinder will (correctly) think that you don't have access to the shared calendar, so it won't appear in the list. Try adding your user name to the permission list, or set "(Everyone)" to "Contributor".

That's the only thing I can think of that might explain why the calendar doesn't appear. As another test, try creating a shared calendar on the laptop. Do you see the calendar on your other computers? If so, what user name is listed as the calendar owner, on the "Add Shared Calendar" window? That's the user name you'll want to provide permissions to.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

macbeth

Post by macbeth » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:29 pm

Interesting, I created a new calendar on the laptop and it won't let me share it to the network;when I click on "share" there is no option to share the calendar to the network checkbox. Yes I have everyone set to contributor. Thanks

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:48 am

Can you email me a screenshot of the Sharing tab? There should be a checkbox to enable sharing. I'm not sure what you're seeing, but a screenshot would help.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

macbeth

Post by macbeth » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:20 am

Done

macbeth

Post by macbeth » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:25 pm

Just to cover all the bases I uninstalled and reinstalled Vueminder Calendar. No difference. It has to be some setting on this laptop, but I'm baffled!

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:50 am

Hi macbeth, which version of Windows are you running on the computer that is acting as the server?

Is it Windows XP Home addition, or one of the other "Home" editions? If so, you might be running into a maximum connection problem. Maybe all the connections are being used by other computers or programs.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314882

Regarding the empty Sharing tab problem, this is a bug when the server connection can't be established. There's supposed to be a message saying there's a connection problem, but the message was accidentally hidden by some other code. I've fixed that for the next version. This is unrelated to the problem you're seeing though, which is that the connection to the server can't be established.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

macbeth

Post by macbeth » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:57 am

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. What's interesting is that the server name shows up under the "sharing" option. Thanks

macbeth

Post by macbeth » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:16 am

Doesn't Vueminder need a user name and password to connect to the server? Is there an initiation file somewhere to check what it is using?

macbeth

Post by macbeth » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:43 am

I give up-I've tried everything I can think of. I even tried another pc that was not in use and still had the same problem with it. Too bad, would have loved to share notes and contact info across the network.