Publish/subscribe contacts

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!
IanS

Publish/subscribe contacts

Post by IanS » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:25 pm

The facility to publish and subscribe a contact list in the same way that Vueminder allows for a calendar would be a useful addition I think. I am sure that others who use Vueminder over several PCs have the problem of keeping a contact list updated across all of their systems (and might not wish to run a server to take advantage of the upcoming facility in the soon-to-be released Ultimate version).

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Publish/subscribe contacts

Post by VueSoft » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:03 pm

Hi IanS, thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify how VueMinder Server works, you don't need a dedicated machine to run the server software. You can install it on the same computer where VueMinder is installed.

One of the benefits of the Ultimate version is the ability to automatically sync contacts between computers. You can still use the export/import commands to do this manually if you're using the Pro version.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

IanS

Post by IanS » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:55 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I guess that, on reflection, my suggestion was a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut as contact data does not change that frequently.

However, presume that, unlike publishing/subscribing (and this query applies to calendars as well), the PC which has the server installed needs to be running in order for Vueminder to get its data. In other words, if that PC is not booted, could I still make changes to the calendar on another system (say, my laptop), and expect that change to be synced the next time that the server PC is running?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi Ian, the syncing will happen automatically whenever a connection to the server is available. If the server is offline (or if you're away from the network) and you add or modify contact data, those changes will sync to other computers on the network after the server connection is restored. Likewise, any changes made on other computers while your computer was offline will also sync.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

IanS

Post by IanS » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:14 am

Thanks for that.