The concept of "time shifting" events

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!
BlueProteus

The concept of "time shifting" events

Post by BlueProteus » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:42 pm

I'm currently checking out the 60 day trial of VueMinder, and like a lot of what I see.

One thing that would be awesome to see in the future would be the addition of a mode that automatically "time-shifts" events that do not have to occur at a specific time, but you still want on a daily calendar.

Example: I have a meeting that occurs at 4pm. I need that locked to 4pm since it occurs at a specific time. But I also need to spend about an hour assembling some furniture. But it doesn't matter when I start, just that I spend about an hour. Most calendar apps treat that as a "task", but I don't want a separate task list, I want it to be part of my daily calendar.

In this situation, my calendar would show the event "Build Furniture", and if it's, say, noon, it would show that event starting at noon. If I haven't completed that item, it automatically shifts itself to 1pm, etc. But when 3:00 rolls around, that event gets kicked to 5pm, so it doesn't conflict with the 4pm meeting.

What I'm describing already works in a program I'm using called "TimeTo". So why don't I just keep using it instead? For a few reasons. First off, it doesn't sync with Google calendar. Second, it's really ugly, and third, it doesn't get updated very often.

If you guys added that feature, I'd gladly cough up whatever you were asking as far as purchase price! :mrgreen:

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: The concept of "time shifting" events

Post by VueSoft » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:49 am

Hi BlueProteus, welcome to the forums and thank you for the suggestion. VueMinder currently provides a floating task feature, which will automatically advance a task to the current date until the task is marked completed. To make a task float, check the "Float to current date when overdue" box in the Task Editor.

I know you said you didn't want to use tasks, but I think you'll find tasks are implemented a little differently in VueMinder, where tasks can be shown directly in your daily calendar. Tasks don't have to live in a separate list that isn't integrated with the rest of the calendar views. To show tasks in the calendar view, use the "Show Tasks in Calendar" command on the View menu (this is enabled by default).

Note, the floating tasks aren't quite as elaborate was what you describe. They float to the current date, but won't float to different timeslots within the current day. I've added this to my list of possible improvements.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA