Replication Issues

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
jduer

Replication Issues

Post by jduer » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:28 pm

I'm having a perplexing problem with a shared calendar:

I've got computer A sharing a calendar on a local network, there are three client computers (computers B, C, D) that are synchronizing off of the computer A calendar. Computer A calendar looks fine - all events are correct and there are no duplicates. Computer B, shows all events, but many are duplicated (some 5 or 6 times), computer C shows some, but not all events, and also shows duplicates of some but not all events, Computer D has the same symptoms of computer B.

- All computers are synchronizing with the MS time server correctly.
- Computer A & B are running Vista, Computer C & D are running Win7.
- All computers are running v9 Pro Beta 2 of VueMinder (I installed the Beta to resolve duplication on all machines)
- All computers are wired (no wireless)

I suspect that my problem with duplication was b/c the user of computer A set up her outlook to sync with Google Calendar, then set up her VueMinder to sync with Google Calendar, then set up her VueMinder to sync with Outloook (a nice circle of horrors).

On Computer A, I removed the VueMinder synchronization with Outlook and remove the synchronization from Google Calendar. I then ran the cleanup DB option in the shared calendar properties (Many items were removed). I then deleted the Vueminder calendar from computers B and C (clients), then restarted and added the computer A shared calendar back. No luck.

I need some advice on how to get the client computers B, C & D to synchronize properly with the server computer A.

My next step would be to back up the Calendar on Computer A, remove the VueMinder program from all computers, then install from scratch and restore the calendar. I'd rather not do that unless I have to though.

Thanks for your help.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Replication Issues

Post by VueSoft » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:43 am

Hi jduer, can you try the following, and let me know if this doesn't resolve the problem?

1. Exit VueMinder on all computers, via the "Exit" command on the task tray icon's right-click menu.

2. On computer A, run VueMinder Server Setup again. This will reset the database back to a clean state.

3. On computers B/C/D, reset the local data using the utility linked below:
http://www.vueminder.com/download/ResetData.zip

4. On computer A, restart VueMinder. Right-click each of the previously shared calendars (in the Calendar List) and select the "Share Calendar -> Share to Local Network" command. Configure user permissions on the Sharing tab of the Calendar Properties window as needed.

5. On computers B/C/D, use the "Add Shared Calendar From Local Network" command on the File menu to re-add the shared calendars. There shouldn't be any duplicates.

The 9.0 beta won't fix previous duplicate events that were introduced prior to 9.0. However, you should no longer see duplicates being generated in 9.0. If you do, please let me know.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:06 am

Hi Dan,

Since I also have a problem with duplicates of (one) recurring event, will running VueMinder Server Setup (on the main system), and running the ResetData utility (on the other systems) also work for me (all systems running VueMinder Pro v8.4.1), or should I rather wait for the final v9 version? (which is no big deal, since it is only one single event).

Ron

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:01 pm

Hi Ron, if it's just one event, I'd suggest deleting the event. After deleting, wait a few minutes for the change to propagate to the other computers, and then re-create the event. You might also try the "Cleanup Database" command in the File menu, if the duplicates return.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

jduer

Post by jduer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:07 am

It's been two weeks since I ran through the steps to reset the data and server software.

There have been no duplicates since. It looks like this is fixed now.

Thanks Dan.

akastely

Post by akastely » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:49 pm

To VueSoft
I am having a similar problem with replicates and want to follow your advice, but I don't see a "Cleanup Database" choice. Could you tell me where to find it? thanks

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:50 am

Hi akastely, welcome to the forums. Are you using the latest version (9.0.3) on all computers? Also, are all computer clocks synced with an internet time server? If so, then you shouldn't be seeing duplicates when sharing calendars over a local network through VueMinder Server. I'm not sure what would cause that to happen, and haven't seen this in my testing.

In any case, the Cleanup Database button is on the Sharing Options window, accessed via the Options menu. Clicking the button will result in all deleted events to be removed from the database, which might help with the events being replicated (but might not).

If you're not using VueMinder Server for sharing calendars between your computers, you won't see the Cleanup Database button on the Sharing Options window. If that's the case, can you provide more detail about how you're syncing? Are you publishing/subscribing to the same ICS file?

If you're syncing with Google Calendar, I'm aware of a number of problems in the current version which could be related to events being replicated. The problems were introduced when Google changed the behavior of their servers and how they interact with the Google Calendar API (v2). The next version fixes all those problems by using the new version of the Google Calendar API (v3). A beta is available here:
http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... ?f=5&t=817
Dan Chartrand, Founder