Using Firebird SQL Server instead Microsoft SQL Server

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!
VMUser

Using Firebird SQL Server instead Microsoft SQL Server

Post by VMUser » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:21 pm

Using Firebird SQL Server for sharing instead that huge bloated Microsoft SQL Server.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Using Firebird SQL Server instead Microsoft SQL Server

Post by VueSoft » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:44 am

Thank you for the suggestion. The install of Microsoft SQL Server is pretty large, but I haven't encountered any performance issues. It seems to run quickly and doesn't use a lot of resources. However, it can be a hassle to get it to work correctly, especially if there's a firewall blocking communication.

What has been your experience with Firebird SQL Server? Is it easier to install and configure? I'm considering a switch to something else, since a lot of the support issues I receive are due to Microsoft SQL Server installation problems. I haven't used Firebird though, so I don't know if it would be any easier to setup, or if it has its own set of issues.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

VMUser

Post by VMUser » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:29 pm

VueSoft wrote:Thank you for the suggestion. The install of Microsoft SQL Server is pretty large, but I haven't encountered any performance issues. It seems to run quickly and doesn't use a lot of resources. However, it can be a hassle to get it to work correctly, especially if there's a firewall blocking communication.
Just some days before I found that great VueMinder I tested two well known PIMs. Both PIMs are using Firebird. The installation went through very smooth and needed about 5 minutes. The installation of the Microsoft SQL Server for VueMinder on the same machine needed two hours.

Resources:
Firebird: Memory Total kB: about 90,000
MS SQL: Memory Total kB: about 1,650,000

VueSoft wrote:What has been your experience with Firebird SQL Server? Is it easier to install and configure? I'm considering a switch to something else, since a lot of the support issues I receive are due to Microsoft SQL Server installation problems. I haven't used Firebird though, so I don't know if it would be any easier to setup, or if it has its own set of issues.
Very smooth and easy. There wasn't any configuration needed. It was all done by the installers of the applications. The firewall setup is of course to do but it wasn't an issue at all.

I could really recommend Firebird.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:31 pm

Thank you for the information. I'll keep this in mind for a future release (after 9.0).
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA