Financial Calendar

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!
soahs

Financial Calendar

Post by soahs » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:24 am

This is perhaps the strangest suggestion you have ever heard of. I am the world's worst when it comes to keeping financial records, to keep track of my checking account, etc. But I like to use the computer so I will make the effort to enter the days purchases into a calendar. (Tried excel spreadsheets, nope they must not be fun enough).

So this is my suggestion. Would it possible to make a special type of calendar where I can enter purchases for a particular day. The program adds up the days total of spends and lists it at the end of the entries. Then it will list the new balance of the checking account on the next day. When another day of shopping is entered let's say 5 days later, first the previous balance will be displayed for that day first thing. Then I type in the spends for the day, and it adds them up and gets the new balance, etc.

I am currently doing something like this by hand and with a calculator. I am using a note calendar so I can enter what I got for the day, how many, what store, etc. I enter the day when bills are due, then change them to paid, and on the date paid, check number, etc. This is actually working for me, and I have never been able to follow a budget of any kind ever. I don't even want to write entries on a regular store bought calendar. But doing it this way is really fun. A suggestion would be able to set up budget categories (with notes) so I can see when I buy something and how long it lasts, when I need to buy it again.

And most importantly I can enter when my insurance payments are due, on the day it is due, with policy number, then check # when paid, etc. When printing out, again I wish there was option to not allow priority and occurence, etc.

Soahs

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Financial Calendar

Post by VueSoft » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:04 am

Hi Soahs, thank you for the suggestion. What you describe will be possible in the Ultimate version, which is currently in beta and will be released next month. The Ultimate version allows custom input fields to be defined, which could include a numeric field for tracking spending. The Events tab will show custom fields and there's a command (on the List button) for exporting to Excel. In Excel, you can do SUM formulas and other creative things to keep track of a budget.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

soahs

Re: Financial Calendar

Post by soahs » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:30 am

Great minds think alike :) The only thing, for a person like me to actually keep track of budgets is to make this process fun. I started with Excel many times, kept at it, then just let it go. But I am keeping up my tracking entries in Vue Calendar even with doing the sum and figures by hand. I like doing this.

Now if Vue Calendar could take me to Excel for a quick visit but then have the sums, totals, and new balance show on the Vue Calendar then that wouldn't be too bad. I would also be good with letting Vue calendar take a purchase item (in a category like insurance or medical expenses, or paper towels, etc.) then funneling that to Excel. Painless budged!

Glad to hear you are working on a finalcial type calendar

Soahs