"empty" backup files

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
joljol2

"empty" backup files

Post by joljol2 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:52 pm

An empty calendar when it is known there are LOTS of events, is no fun.

Restoring data from one of the list of existing backup files still brought no data onto the Calendar.

Using the Browse button to access data files older than the earliest shown in the Backup window did allow use of the next previous dated file. That brought back quite a volume of events (probably not any from the gap up to today).

How does a user properly handle the situation when data vanishes and simple restoring from an auto-backup file does not seem to work?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: "empty" backup files

Post by VueSoft » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:01 am

Hi joljol2, I'm not sure what happened. If the data becomes corrupted and events get lost, subsequent auto-backups will not include the lost events. How many backups were generated before you noticed the data was missing? What's you auto-backup frequency?

The "Restore Data" window lists previous backup checkpoints. There's a "Description" column that shows how many events were included in the backup.

If something happens that causes the data to be lost and backup checkpoints are generated after-the-fact, you can use this column in the Restore Data window to pick the most recent backup that still had events.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

joljol2

Post by joljol2 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:06 pm

Thanks for the quick response.

What are these "backup checkpoints" mentioned? (just the dated backup files themselves?) and how to generate them?

I'm running CHKDSK now to see if a data file could have been put in a bad sector.

As you suggested I did change the automatic backup frequency and unchecked the control to get rid of old files.
Now I suppose I must do that myself.

The recent backups have been full of data.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:12 pm

The backup checkpoints are automatically generated when the box labeled "Perform automatic backups" is checked on the Backup Data window. You can manually generate a checkpoint by clicking the "Backup" button at the bottom of the window. I referred to the listed/dated backups as "checkpoints" because that's the same nomenclature used by Windows with its "system checkpoints".

I apologize for the confusion. Please let me know if it's still unclear. Also, the following documentation is worth reading, if you haven't yet:
http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... ackup.html
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

joljol2

Post by joljol2 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:46 pm

Well that CHKDSK procedure may have been an unsatisfactory experience.

I was watching carefully at the 99% point, then the screen filled with some report, but the computer instantly restarted so I never got to review it. "No news is good news" ?

NOW I'll read your documentation. Thanks to the pointer link to the right detail.

joljol2