Cannot Add Google Calendar (Firewall/Antivirus Problem)

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
johnmouse

Cannot Add Google Calendar (Firewall/Antivirus Problem)

Post by johnmouse » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:03 am

I cannot add a Google calendar to VueMinder. VM just hangs and give me the Program Not Responding horror. I really need to get this resolved. I am providing rides to doctors for a teenager with heart problems and need to be able to check and change appointments on my calendar. This is getting really old, and I do not have the luxury of spending extra time manually typing in all these changes.

If it makes a difference, I can ping only time.nist.gov. My email setting is set to "Use my email provider (SMTP) with requiring authentication and SSL boxes checked. Email test works. Is there something elsewhere I'm missing?

================================

:oops: **PARTIALLY SOLVED** :oops:

Just out of curiosity, I disabled my firewall (Comodo) and anti-virus (Avast!) to see what would happen. As Emeril would say, "Bam!" Calendar updated successfully. Next I'll need to determine which program is blocking information either coming or going out (or both). If anyone has experienced the same and has a clue, chime in.

JJ

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Cannot Add Google Calendar (Firewall/Antivirus Problem)

Post by VueSoft » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi JJ, thank you for the information. Please let me know if you're able to narrow it down to either Comodo or Avast. I believe there should be a way to add an exception for VueMinder.

In any case, there's not much I can do within VueMinder's code to prevent these programs from locking up VueMinder when it attempts to contact Google Calendar.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

johnmouse

Re: Cannot Add Google Calendar (Firewall/Antivirus Problem)

Post by johnmouse » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:50 am

I think the problem was twofold:

1)There may have been a problem with a setting in Comodo Firewall. I recently removed Comodo
completely from my system and reinstalled it.
2) I'm just too impatient. :roll: When I make a change, I expect it to happen now. :lol:
It may take 5-10 minutes for VueMinder/Google/Android Google to all get synced.
This is especially true on the Android side. I'll blame it on Google. :P

I think my primary problem, however, was with some unbeknownst block within the first application of Comodo. One curious thing was on a repeating item, but only affected the Google side. The particular event did not occur on Oct. 30, but restarted on Nov. 6. Somehow Google decided the recurring event would end completely on Nov. 5. Hmmm. I deleted the entire series from the Google side, synced through VM, and the event series was restored properly.

I think we can consider this case resolved now.