Random unwanted reoccuring event duplications

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
John Chance

Random unwanted reoccuring event duplications

Post by John Chance » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:56 am

We're running several shared diaries using version 8.4.1 on two computers linked by LAN. We have an endless problem with reoccuring event entries randomly duplicating themselves two or three times over. After deleting the duplications they or others reappear later. We don't use any other calenders and the time and date on the computers is the same.
We would be be grateful of some ideas to try and solve this problem which is very time consuming and confusing.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Random unwanted reoccuring event duplications

Post by VueSoft » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:49 pm

Hi John, welcome to the forums.

Please double-check that both computers are set to the same clock time. VueMinder will attempt to sync with an internet time server when applying timestamps to events, but if you’re behind a firewall or proxy, this might not work. In that case, it’s very important that both computers have the same clock time, accurate to within a couple seconds.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

mrbeanpa

Post by mrbeanpa » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:38 am

I'm having same issue - I've posted to "Phantom events" - not sure how best to link to that post from here...

Phil B

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:54 pm

Hi Phil, I'm still working on a solution. It's a difficult problem to track down because I'm unable to duplicate this behavior on my network. I believe it's related to a memory caching issue in a 3rd party component that VueMinder uses. I won't get into the gory details, but rest assured I'm working on finding a solution.

If you'd like to help, could you perform a backup of your data (using the Backup Data command on the File menu), and send me a copy, along with a description of which event(s) are showing duplicates? All data will be kept strictly confidential and will be deleted as soon as I've finished with it.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

John Chance

Re: Random unwanted reoccurring event duplications

Post by John Chance » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:32 am

Hi Dan,

I took your advice that each computer should show exactly the same time and installed the free program Atomic Clock Sync v3.0 from WorldTimeServer.com on each computer, so they would be exactly synced. Unfortunately it didn't cure the problem; one reoccurring event on computer 1 duplicated twice on to computer 2, and a reoccurring event on computer 2 duplicated once on to computer 1. I then tried deleting the two original reoccurring events plus the copies from both computers, and re-entered the reoccurring events. Several days have now gone by and I've had no more duplications so far. I'll keep you posted on future events.

John Chance

jduer

Post by jduer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:46 am

Dan, has there been an update to this problem? I've got 4 computers synching off a 5th computer. They only synch to the one computer and may or may not use their local calendar. Same symptoms as above. Some events duplicate 3 or 4 times...when deleted, it comes back or they all disappear. We use v8.4.1 on Win7 and Win Vista machines.

John Chance

Re: Random unwanted recurring event duplications

Post by John Chance » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:29 am

To update you, I'm sorry to say that I'm still getting duplications which I've not been able to stop so far but I'm working on it.
To explain in more detail
I'm syncing between four computers but only using two for making entries.
The duplications only occur to entries made as recurring events.
As few as one and as many as four duplications of each recurring event may happen.
Two or three events may be affected but not necessarily at the same time.
The duplications really are random; 90% of the times when I bring up the calendar there is no problem, at other times anything could have happened.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:05 am

Hi John, I believe I've found what is causing the problem. A correction has been made for the next version (9.0), which will be released soon. I apologize for the inconvenience and will post a reply when the next version is available.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

jduer

Post by jduer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:42 pm

VueSoft wrote:Hi John, I believe I've found what is causing the problem. A correction has been made for the next version (9.0), which will be released soon. I apologize for the inconvenience and will post a reply when the next version is available.

Dan,

Do you have a Beta version that we could test. The users here have been deleting the duplicates, but then they come back with a vengeance with double and triple the entries that they just deleted.

It is at a point where the calendar is almost unusable.

Thanks,
Jim

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:01 am

Hi Jim, I'll let you know as soon as the beta is ready. It's not quite ready, but is really close. In the meantime, you might be able to mitigate the problem by clicking the "Cleanup Database" button in the Sharing Options.
Dan Chartrand, Founder