Save As Web Page Timing Out Often

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
allenk23

Save As Web Page Timing Out Often

Post by allenk23 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:48 am

Dan and all,

I use the feature Save As Web Page quite often. I run the process, which uploads typically the next 3 months of Calendars to my FTP site so I can access it via my cell phone or work PC. It works great, except that it times out while running and uploading more than 50% of the time.

This is uploaded to a legitimate FTP site and not one provided by my internet provider. The status bar reaches various positions -- sometimes 30% complete, sometimes 99% -- then stalls. That is followed by an error message indicating that it failed suggesting that it might be due to a missing Details folder. The Details folder is indeed present. Almost always, when I immediately run it again after a failure, it completes.

My general settings in the dialoge box it to upload to an FTP site, saving the output to a local folder on a drive with plenty of space, clean output folder, show legend, and show details. I opt to not open in a browser on completion.

Anyone seeing this problem or suggest a solution to the timeouts?

Thanks,
Allen K.

Andre C

Re: Save As Web Page Timing Out Often

Post by Andre C » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:55 pm

No - works perfectly for me and my calendar set-up is fairly elaborate with several calendars and lots of repeating events.

Saving as HTML for more than a few months, for instance a few years, can take a while to complete even on a fast computer.

Cheers,

Andre C

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:10 pm

Hi Allen, if I understand the problem, the timeout is occurring while uploading to your FTP server. Is that the case? If so, your FTP server might have a timeout setting that needs to be increased.

You could also disable the automatic FTP upload in VueMinder Calendar, and use a separate FTP client to upload the locally generated HTML files to your server. My recommendation is Filezilla, but there are many others.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

allenk23

Post by allenk23 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi again Dan,

I contacted my website provider and they have no setting that can be "tweaked" to stop the timeouts.

A couple more tidbits here. First, I have available another FTP site to which I can upload. I changed the FTP address and credentials and got the same timeouts. Second, when the apparent timeout happens, the dialog box is truly frozen -- if I click on the dialog box, it turns almost white (Windows 7). In Task Manager, it shows absolutely no CPU devoted to VueMinder. And lastly, it seems to freeze the entire PC (I cannot access other windows, the desktop, etc.) until the timeout returns an error message.

I connect with a 35 Mb uload speed, so there should be no issues of slowness.

Is there anything further I can test with VueMinder to overcome this?

Yes, I can bypass the FTP upload and after Saving as Web Page, use FTP software (which never stalls), but that is pretty inconvenient.

Thanks,
Allen K.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:56 pm

Hi Allen, thanks for the information. The fact your entire computer freezes when uploading - but there's hardly any CPU activity - makes me think there might be a firewall or security software that's getting involved and fouling the upload. To test this, could you try temporarily disabling your security software when uploading? Does that make any difference?
Dan Chartrand, Founder

allenk23

Post by allenk23 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:03 pm

Dan, for what it's worth, I contacted my web provider, who wrote "Try setting the number of connections to one, and see if there is any option that allows for the use of a persistent connection in your software. The server times out after about 2 minutes, so you shouldn't have any problems unless you are uploading very large files."

Also, I checked my firewall software and set it to always ALLOW VueMinder full access. It was set for Automatic.

Unfortunately, the timeouts continue. Is there any Log that VueMinder keeps which might provide a clue as to what might be happening?

Thanks,
Allen K.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:05 am

Hi Allen, thanks for the information. Unfortunately, there's no log to view, at least not that's generated by VueMinder. Maybe there's a log somewhere on your server - I guess it depends on the FTP server software being used and how it's configured.

All the files that are being uploaded are tiny, usually under 20 KB. However, depending on how many months you upload and how many events you have defined, there could be hundreds of files being uploaded. Maybe the number of files being transmitted is causing some type of timing glitch, although I have never seen this happen in my testing.

I'll need to do some more research. I'm sure there's some way to solve the problem. I'll let you know if I find a solution. In the meantime, I know it's a hassle, but you could use a separate FTP client to upload the files, or try generating just 1 month at a time to see if that helps.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:45 pm

Hi Allen, I've updated the next version to use a more robust approach to FTP uploading. Also, the upload will happen in a separate thread, so you shouldn't see any freezing. A beta is currently available, if you'd like to try it.
http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... ?f=5&t=707
Dan Chartrand, Founder

allenk23

Post by allenk23 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:17 pm

Hi Dan. Thanks. I'll download, install, and let you know how it does.

Thanks again,
Allen K.

allenk23

Post by allenk23 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:40 pm

Dan,

Good news and bad news. I downloaded and installed the new beta without incident. Now, when selecting Save As Web Page, my FTP server settings (specificially, the server and Upload to directory settings) were missing. The login name and password survived. Anyway, I entered the correct server and Upload to directory settings and found the upload to me much, much faster. I'd say roughly 4 to 5 times faster. That was the good news.

The bad news is that in this Beta, the server and Upload to directory settings will not save. In other words, after entering them and clicking Save, which should not only save the settings but also begin the upload, the next time I go to Save As Web Page, I find those 2 settings missing.

Other than that, it is much faster and so far, hasn't frozen.

Allen K.