SQL Server Installation

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
bsp2323

SQL Server Installation

Post by bsp2323 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:40 am

Trying to install SQL serve 2008 R2 (64-bit) for VueMinder Pro. Error message keeps coming up and stopping installation: “SQL server WMI provider is not available on <my PC>”. Any ideas how to remedy

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: SQL Server Installation

Post by VueSoft » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi bsp2323, welcome to the forums. It sounds like the WMI service on your computer is in need of repair. The following page provides instructions. Please let me know if this doesn’t fix it:
http://www.nucleustechnologies.com/Repa ... rvices.php
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

bsp2323

Post by bsp2323 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:20 pm

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the instructions. Got stopped trying to "delete" the Repository directory. No matter how many programs I close, I always get the message "Can't close....directory being used by another program". Haven't the foggiest idea what program that may be. So, I'm stuck on your second step.

Also, for re-registering the WMI components, do I type into the command box everything you wrote in BOLD?

Bob

BTW...my son and his family live in STL. :)

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:53 pm

Hi Bob, did the "net stop winmgmt" command work? If so, you should be able to delete the Repository directory. Maybe the "net stop winmgmt" command didn't work.

If you're using Windows Vista or 7, you'll need to run the command prompt as an Administrator. This can be done by right-clicking the shortcut at "All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt" and selecting "Run as Administrator".

After opening a command prompt as administrator, type the following commands:
1. net stop winmgmt
2. cd %systemroot%\system32\wbem
3. del Repository
4. net start winmgmt
5. for %i in (*.dll) do RegSvr32 -s %i
6. for %i in (*.exe) do %i /RegServer

I hope that fixes it. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

bsp2323

Post by bsp2323 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:20 am

Thanks for the very clear instructions but it didn't help. Installation is still stopping the same error message. BTW...after I entered the last re-registering command, a box came up asking if I wanted to "connect" or "exit" something. I didn't know what it was referencing so I exited. The wbem directory is still in my System32 folder so I don't know if it was deleted during the operation or not.

Dan, your VueMinder is the best calendar program I've seen in the last 20 years (for my purposes and use). I've been using an old program called Almanac (company gone with the wind) since the early 90s and VueMinder is the closest to that program's features (but with a lot more versatility). Would like to access it on my other computers without exporting/importing data but it doesn't seem to want to install on my main PC. This is a relatively new CPU running Windows 7.

I'm still open to testing the Pro version if we can ever get it to work on my PC.

Bob

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:54 pm

Hi Bob, thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what is causing the WMI problems. I was hoping re-registering the WMI service would fix it.

You could work around the server problem by using a publish+subscribe approach instead. Basically, you'd configure a calendar on one of your computers to be published as an ICS file somewhere on your network. This can be done via the "Publish" tab in the Calendar Properties window. Make sure to click the "Publish Now" button to generate the initial ICS file. Next, go to the Subscribe tab and subscribe to the ICS file that was just published.

On your other computer, use the "Add Calendar Subscription" command on the File menu. Select the file that was published from your other computer. Copy this path and paste it into the Publish tab. Repeat for any other computers on your network.

Each computer should be configured to publish and subscribe to the same shared ICS file. Any changes made on one computer will be automatically reflected on the other computers (within a couple seconds).

Note, this approach isn't quite as robust as the SQL Server approach, since you can run into problems if editing the same event from different computers at the same time. Also, user permissions can't be assigned. However, if you're the only one sharing the calendar between multiple computers, those issues shouldn't be a problem.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

bsp2323

Post by bsp2323 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:35 am

Hey Dan,

After my eyes uncrossed from reading your last suggestion to get the Pro version to share calendars (LOL), I decided to try another more radical route. I uninstalled the program, re-installed the version I originally had (v8.2), updated it within the program to v8.4, and then upgraded to the Pro version. It worked........the SQL program loaded itself without any problems. As they say...."go figure".

But.............then another problem popped-up. My server (PC) wouldn't appear in the Sharing box on my laptop. I'm sharing other files and printers between the two so here we went again. I went through all your troubleshooting suggestions and still came up empty in the Share box. So I decided to try another radical move.

I just typed my server name into the Share box. It worked...I'm up and running in cloud...and ready to test fly this program. As they say..."go figure". (did I already say that?) LOL

Feel free to add this last little suggestion to your list of troubleshooters. No credit necessary. {:-)

Thanks for all your very prompt replies and suggestions.
Bob

Tiernan

Post by Tiernan » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:37 pm

I have the same situation. New Server. Server 2011 Small Business Essentials OS. I am by no means a tech rookie, but this is becoming a REAL frustration.

Here is the message I get:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express installation was closed, but a VueMinder instance of the SQL server could not be found. A reboot may be needed before the VueMinder database can be added to the server.

I like the program and it's features. I purchased 7 Pro licenses. If I can't get this networking issue figured out, I will be looking for a refund.

Your publish+subscribe approach is not working because the times sent to other computers are off by 5 hours. Some ahead, and some behind.

Please tell me there are answers.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:08 pm

Hi Jack, I apologize for your frustration. It sounds like a firewall is blocking communication. The following exceptions are needed on the server, for local inbound and outbound connections:
  • C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlbrowser.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.VUESOFT\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe
  • TCP ports 1434 and 1451
If adjusting the firewall settings doesn't fix the problem, please make sure both "SQL Server Browser" and "SQL Server (VUESOFT)" are running and configured to start automatically.

More detailed information and troubleshooting tips can be found here:
http://www.vueminder.com/sharing.php

Please let me know if you're still unable to get it to work.
Dan Chartrand, Founder