Phantom Events

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Andre C

Re: Phantom Events

Post by Andre C » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:24 am

Extra info if helpful:

VueMinder Server: 32 bit
Server OS: windows Vista Professional 32 bit
Server: Intel Dual Core, 4 Gigabytes of ram.
Network: Mixture of 1 Gigabit fixed Ethernet and 140 Megabit wireless that averages about 80-100 Megabit

mrbeanpa

Post by mrbeanpa » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:23 am

Little more info...

The event being considered is a monthly recurring event and most of this discussion refers to a single instance for that event on 24 Oct..

The DB refresh is set at 1 minute. All three machines are on a LAN (home/office) with very little traffic.

I noticed I had a duplicated event in one view of the calendar on a machine that was offline to the server. When I connected I noticed the event wasn't shown at all so did a DB cleanup and 'synchronised the DB from the server host machine.

The result was that the machine hosting the server now showed 4 'phantom' events for the 'one' event. The machine that previously wasn't connected (Client 1) shows no instances for the event and another connected machine (client 2) shows only one instance.

A manual refresh on client 1 failed to show the event. The server host machine continuously presents a pop-up reminder for the event and dismissing seems to have no effect.

Subsequent DB cleanups report the DB is clean.

I deleted the phantom events and then did another DB cleanup it reported 83 events deleted and 2 phantom events re-appeared. I tried yet another delete and clean up and it reported DB was clean, but one phantom event appeared. A further delete of one instance (one of 2) of the event resulted in no event showing, cleaning DB reported 5 events deleted. Now no event is showing (Server).

So now the Server host is showing no event instances for the 24th Oct - Later instances seem to be showing OK on all 3 machines. For the 24 Oct event one 'client' machine, client 1, is showing no instances and the other, client 2, is showing 3 instances and a perpetual reminder (I have a backup file from this state). A "clean DB" from that same client machine, client 2, reports 4 events deleted. One instance of the event is left showing, the same event is not showing on any other connected machine.

I have made a backup from the 'server' host of the state earlier in the day and one for earlier where the event is showing 4 instances and can't be dismissed. I have also created a backup from the 'client' machine as mentioned above. Once I know where to send the files I'l mail it to you.

Hopefully this will be helpful in trying to isolate the cause - good luck!

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:23 pm

Hi Phil, thanks for the information. Can you send the backup to support@vueminder.com? I'll take a look and will let you know what I find.

Also, you might be able to work around the problem by deleting the entire recurring series and then re-creating it. It's possible some previous bug caused the event to get into this weird state.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

mrbeanpa

Post by mrbeanpa » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:30 am

Dan,

Ok Thanks! I'll post em shortly. Interestingly the event I described earlier in detail has returned this morning on the 'server' machine with one instance :?

I also tried deleting 2 recurring events that are generating these phantom events and after deleting every instance, synchronising and cleaning the DB one keeps coming back! I've shutdown and restarted all instances of Vueminder on all machines then run the delete, Synch, clean process on all 3 machines - I think after 3 attempts all have now gone...

I think I might have cleared the problem with the 2 events I've deleted (several times) and I'll monitor it. If it continues might it be worth exporting the calendar to a file, uninstalling Vueminder on all machines, the server and the data files, then install again from scratch and import the saved calendar, then share it? What's the best way to fully uninstall vueminder and the server and the data, but not the licence?

For now I think we cracked it... :D

Phil B

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:55 pm

Hi Phil, thanks for the information. I'll look at the data you sent and will let you know what I find. It might take a day or two.

If the behavior returns and you want to completely reset the local data and the shared database, you can follow these steps:

1. Use the Backup Data command on the File menu to generate a backup checkpoint.

2. Delete the shared calendar(s). When asked if you'd like to also remove the calendar from the database, select "Yes". You can delete calendars by right-clicking their names in the Calendar List and selecting the "Delete Calendar" command from the popup menu. You'll only need to do this for calendars that are shared. Local calendars will be removed in the next step.

3. Download the ResetData utility, linked below. Use this utility with caution, since it will wipe out ALL data and settings on your computer. The only thing saved is your backup history and previous backup files. Before running this utility, make sure VueMinder is fully exited by right-clicking the icon in the task tray and selecting "Exit".
http://www.vueminder.com/download/ResetData.zip

4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 on your other computers.

5. Restart VueMinder. Use the "Restore Data" command on the File menu to recover your previous data.

6. Go to the Sharing Options and specify the server name.

7. Right-click the calendar(s) you'd like to share and select the "Share Calendar to Local Network" command to re-enable sharing.

8. On the other computers, restore the previous data. Go to the Sharing Options and specify the server name.

9. Use the "Add Shared Calendar From Local Network" command on the File menu to add the calendars shared in Step 7.

Hopefully the problem won't return, since I suspect it has something to do with a bug that was in the previous version. However, if it does happen again, or if things get worse, you can use the steps above to reset.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Andre C

Post by Andre C » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:35 pm

Hi Dan

In my case it cannot be related to a bug introduced by a prior version because I have only ever used the latest version.

However the phantom event duplication has disappeared now for at least a week after I:

1) Set the time server entry in all installations of VueMinder to my local IPS's time server. (Pings in less than 15 milliseconds, all computer clocks are now exactly the same, even to the second).
2) Set the time server entry of all computers, including the server that runs the component, to my local IPS's time server.
3) Do not use combined syncing to Google Calendar and on the local network. I now use either one or the other but not both concurrently.

To me it seem that the problem is very much sync related and that the VueMinder Server, or the VueMinder Calendar installations, get confused when there is even a very small difference in the time values.