Calendar Does Not Maintain Size

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
stormcat215

Calendar Does Not Maintain Size

Post by stormcat215 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:17 am

Hi, Dan

First off, thank you for this wonderful calendar program. I've tried over half a dozen others and found them all to be lacking in one way or another. After finding yours I couldn't be happier. It's fantastic. At first I downloaded the free version (8.3.1), and everything worked perfectly. After two weeks I liked the program so much I went ahead and upgraded to the trial version (8.3.1-8.4.0). Again, everything worked perfectly. After another two weeks, I knew I couldn't live without this calendar, so I purchased the full version (8.4.1) along with upgrade protection on Aug. 28. That's when my problem started. I'm using the same settings I was using before, but now the calendar will not maintain its size. I have it set to start with Windows, minimized. I have it sized so that it takes up the whole screen except for the sidebar (Vista x64). But every time the computer is restarted and I bring up the calendar, it's either half or quarter the size I had set. It doesn't matter if I double-click the desktop icon, use the hotkey, or double-click or right-click the tray icon. I read in the forum where you told someone about the location in the registry, that there shouldn't be any number after the registry key. So, I set the calendar size again, then went into the registry and found that there was a '1' at the end of the line. I removed the '1' and restarted the computer. The only effect this had was now the calendar did not start minimized. It was again back to quarter size. When I looked in the 'Options' menu, the 'Start Minimized' box was still checked, so I clicked 'OK'. When I then looked in the registry again, the '1' was back. I like this calendar so much, at first this was only a mild annoyance, but having to resize it once or twice a day is getting to be really aggravating. I'm hoping you can help me solve this and we can get it back to working like it had been. Thank you in advance, Dan. Oh, by the way, it's only the main calendar with this problem. The transparent desktop calendar, which is set to the same size, always maintains its position. Sorry for the lengthy post, but I wanted to give you as much information as possible. Thanks again.

All The Best---
Doug

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Calendar Does Not Maintain Size

Post by VueSoft » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:34 pm

Hi Doug, welcome to the forums. I apologize for the problem you're seeing with the window size not being saved.

Are you spanning the window across several monitors, by any chance? That might cause the behavior you described. Other than that, I can't think of any reason why the window wouldn't remember its previous size and location. It's not doing this on my test computers so I'm not sure what is causing the problem.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

stormcat215

Post by stormcat215 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:02 pm

Hi, Dan

Thank you for the speedy reply. There is no need for an apology as I'm sure the problem is on my end, not yours. Anyway, here’s what’s happened since posting on Friday. On Sunday, I had to add a new event to the calendar, the first since the problem started. After adding the event, I realized I had never exited the program through the tray icon before shutting down the computer. I didn’t know if this would do any good but, short of uninstalling/reinstalling, I’d tried everything else. On Monday morning, I received your reply and was about to post back that I am only using a single 1680x1050 monitor. I decided to delay posting back until I had tried uninstalling/reinstalling, to see if that corrected the problem. Before doing this I checked the calendar for any upcoming events, and was shocked to find that, for the first time since Aug. 28, it had maintained its size. I have no idea if adding the new event, and/or exiting the program had anything to do with it or whether the problem resolved itself in some other way.

Throughout the day, I have rebooted the computer about 8 times now, and the problem does seem to be resolved. The calendar has maintained its size all day. It’s a little ridiculous how happy this has made me, but I really love this calendar. So, Dan, thank you very much. I appreciate your quick attempt to help me as much as I appreciate your work.

All The Best---
Doug

VMUser

[SOLVED] Calendar Does Not Maintain Size

Post by VMUser » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:19 am

V. 10 beta 7: It still happens from time to time that VueMinder forgets his windows size and opens with a smaller standard size. Not every day but sporadic.
Last edited by VMUser on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

VMUser

Post by VMUser » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:55 am

V. 10 beta 8: It still happens that VueMinder forgets his windows size and opens with a smaller standard size.

Any chance to get this fixed?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:58 pm

Sorry, I can't duplicate the problem and I don't know what is causing it.

If you always want VueMinder to open maximized, edit the program shortcut on your desktop and Start menu. Put a "2" after vueminder.exe in the Target field. In other words, the target should look something like this:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\VueSoft\VueMinder\VueMinder.exe" 2

If the problem happens when VueMinder loads during Windows startup, open the Program Options and disable the "Run when Windows starts" setting. Copy the modified shortcut into the "Startup" folder on your Start menu. This will cause VueMinder to start maximized when Windows starts.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

sicupnux

Post by sicupnux » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi,
Something similar started happening to me about two weeks ago.

I mainly use the desktop view and VueMinder is set to run at startup. I'm using the Lite version. I have the desktop window to be a certain size in the right side of my screen, and I'm using only one display with Windows 7 64bit. Is set to display one day and the zoom level is so that you see all 24 hours.

Sometimes it remembers it's size and position and sometimes it starts in a default size and it's higher on my screen. I figured it could be because I made a reoccurring all day event. After changing that event to be only one hour each day, the window usually remembered it's size and position, but still not always. This also happens it I exit VueMinder and start it again without turning off the computer. Today, I upgraded to the version 10 beta 8 and this still happened a few times, but not yet sine I last restarted the computer.

Another thing that might have triggered this could be that it was sometimes set to display 2 days in the 'day view'. When it started and it didn't remember the size, the window's width was doubled.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:38 am

Hi sicupnux, thank you for the information. Can you clarify? Are you only seeing this behavior with the size of the desktop calendar window, or are you also seeing it happen with the main window?

Do you change your screen resolution, or have any software that might be changing the resolution (maybe a game that runs in full screen mode, but at a lower resolution)?

When VueMinder starts, if the desktop calendar detects that any part of its window is outside the bounds of the visible area, it will reset itself to the default location. I wonder if this might be related to what you're seeing. How close to the edge of your screen do you have the desktop calendar? Do you ever move the desktop calendar so one of it's edges might be slightly past the edge of the screen?
Dan Chartrand, Founder

sicupnux

Post by sicupnux » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:16 am

Hi Dan,
Thank you for the quick reply.
No, I don't think any programs are changing the resolution. I only observed this with the desktop calendar, since I rarely use the main window.

I think having edges of the window outside the screen explains it. I had the bottom edge of the window just outside the screen. And now I remember this behaviour roughly coincides to making the taskbar auto hide. (Before, the edge used to be just under the taskbar and I had no problems)

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:27 pm

Hi sicupnux, thanks for the information. I'll fix the next version so that if most of the desktop calendar is visible, it won't have its size/position reset when VueMinder restarts, even if part of the desktop calendar goes outside the visible area of the monitor. I'll let you know when this correction in available.
Dan Chartrand, Founder