More Hover suggestions

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!
silat

More Hover suggestions

Post by silat » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:48 am

How about when you hover over the taskbar icon you get a little window that tells you events/tasks for today?
Silat
Silat

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: More Hover suggestions

Post by VueSoft » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi Silat, thanks for the suggestion. I like it!

I'll put this in the next version and will let you know when it's available. Thanks again, and please let me know if you think of any other improvements you'd like.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:06 pm

This improvement has been completed for version 9.0. When the mouse is hovered over the VueMinder icon in the task tray, a balloon will pop up, showing the events, tasks, and notes that have been defined for today's date.

If you'd like an early look, a beta is available and can be downloaded here:
http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... ?f=5&t=707
Dan Chartrand, Founder

silat

Post by silat » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:44 pm

Dan thanks:)
I am trying the Ultimate version.
It has a 60 day trial so I assume that it will be available for sale before that time passes?
Silat

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:56 pm

Yes, the Ultimate version will be available for sale before the 60 day trial expires. The tentative release date is January 22, although that might shift a little, depending on how well the beta testing goes.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

silat

Post by silat » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:10 pm

I bought the lifetime license with the pro. Will that transfer at a significant discount to the pro? :lol:
Silat

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:47 am

Yes, there will be a discount for Pro license owners. I haven't worked out the details yet, but I'm thinking of giving a bigger discount if you purchased lifetime updates for the Pro version, since it only seems fair.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

zou

Suggestion on Hover - pop up window

Post by zou » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:57 am

I just tested the 9 beta.
Here is some comments on the hover induced pop up window.
In the pop up window,
1) The first line provides date information. This is not useful, as we already have the number shown in the task tray icon, which tells us the date. The first line could be deleted.

2) Could also show the past events in the day, so we can know what tasks or events we missed? Hopefully, the past events could shown in different font color.

3) The function is not sensitive enough. It is actually difficult to trigger the window. I need to carefully move the mouse cursor on some particular position of the icon.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.
Zou

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:33 am

Hi zou, thanks for the feedback. The first line provides a title for the popup, to help give some context for the things shown below. Since the date is always for today, and showing the full date name takes some extra characters (more on that below), I'll change the title to simply "Today".

The popup is limited to 270 characters. For this reason, past events aren't shown, so there can be more characters for events that are still upcoming on the current date. This character limitation is a Windows thing. VueMinder is simply using the notification icon balloon feature provided by Windows. I might change this in the future and roll my own, but for now VueMinder is just using what is already provided.

As for the sensitivity of the popup balloon, this is also something Windows is handling. The cursor needs to be positioned over the icon (16 pixels square) and held stationary for a half second before the popup will appear.

Thanks again for the feedback. Please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

IanS

Post by IanS » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:58 am

Since the date is always for today, and showing the full date name takes some extra characters (more on that below), I'll change the title to simply "Today".
I beg to differ on that - providing the full date as in "29th December 2011 (Day 363)" is far more informative than simply "Today", so at least retain "(Day 363)", if not the whole line as now (unless the character restriction is felt to be a real issue).