annoying loop when importing .ics file

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
blueguitarbob

annoying loop when importing .ics file

Post by blueguitarbob » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi Dan,

I made an appointment for a dental cleaning last week, and my dentist sent me a reminder email with the option to add the appointment to my calendar. I wanted to see if VueMinder could handle it, so I clicked on the link. It was an .ics file, and Windows asked me if I wanted to open it with VueMInder. I held my breath and clicked okay.

It imported the event correctly (to the wrong calendar, but that was easily reassigned). However, the import triggered an annoying loop of modal dialog boxes, each informing me that I had imported an event. As soon as I clicked the close button, another would appear. Eventually, they stopped.

I also got another modal dialog, asking me if I wanted to overwrite all the other events on that calendar! I can't remember what I clicked, but it was the equivalent of "no, thanks."

In the end, the event was imported correctly, but VM did not handle it very smoothly. When VM opens an .ics file, does it default to simply adding those events to the currently selected calendar? It would be nice to have the ability to choose which calendar it adds the events to.

Also, regarding that loop of import dialogs, I think there was one for every existing event in the currently selected calendar. The number was about right. VM seemed to assume that I wanted to overwrite events, which should not be the default assumption.

I am attaching the .ics file from my dentist. Try to open it with VueMinder and see what happens. I've enclosed it in a .zip to get it to attach on this forum.
Attachments
AddEvent.zip
My dental appointment, which triggered a modal dialog loop when opened by VueMinder
(495 Bytes) Downloaded 208 times

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: annoying loop when importing .ics file

Post by VueSoft » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:44 pm

Hi Robert, I'll work on fixing this for the next version. In the meantime, try dragging-and-dropping the ICS file into the VueMinder window, rather than double-clicking the file.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: annoying loop when importing .ics file

Post by VueSoft » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:28 pm

Hi Robert, this problem has been fixed for the next version (8.4.0). If you'd like an early look, a beta is available here:
http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... ?f=5&t=606

Please let me know if you try the beta but still see the problem.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA