Please repair errors in v8.3.1 Lite installer

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
stormal

Please repair errors in v8.3.1 Lite installer

Post by stormal » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:45 am

Your latest installer offered by Cnet ( cnet_VueMinder_Lite_Setup_8_3_1_exe.exe ) is poorly executed.
It downloads the installer, "VueMinder_Lite_Setup_8.3.1.exe", which then creates the following files in the current user's local TEMP folder:

setup.exe
VueMinder Lite Setup.msi

Upon execution, setup.exe looks for and requires "VueMinderLiteLatest.msi", which has not been created by VueMinder_Lite_Setup_8.3.1.exe, so the installation fails! I have manually created a copy named, "VueMinderLiteLatest.msi", to the proper path and only then is the installation successful.
Please correct your distributed resource!

Also, when right-clicking on the program's taskbar icon to show it's menu an annoying empty child window also becomes present on my desktop. I have performed a successful v8.3.1 repair installation, but the annoying behaviour still persists.

Please address these issues.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Please repair errors in v8.3.1 Lite installer

Post by VueSoft » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:25 pm

Hi stormal, welcome to the forums and thank you for the feedback.

I'm not sure why setup.exe is looking for VueMinderLiteLatest.msi. Did you previously have VueMinder Calendar Lite installed? My guess is that something was messed up in the Windows registry, causing it to look for the wrong file. You might also get the same error when attempting to uninstall. This is a fairly common problem with Windows and how it installs software, especially if you often delete the contents of the Temp folder. It's not just VueMinder that has the problem. This happens with Microsoft Office and many other installations. VueMinder follows the standard Windows Installer (msi) approach to installing software, which is what Microsoft requires for software to be Windows logo certified.

As for the "annoying empty child window", can you send a screenshot to support@vueminder.com? Maybe that will give me some clues as to why this window is appearing. I haven't had any other reports of this behavior.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

stormal

Re: Please repair errors in v8.3.1 Lite installer

Post by stormal » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:04 am

I didn't inspect the registry. As you now suggest, I'll presume it's the most likely cause for the behavior.

;)