Sync categories list between clients?

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
blueguitarbob

Sync categories list between clients?

Post by blueguitarbob » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:12 am

Hi Dan,

I use the categories feature a lot, but the categories lists on my three client computers are all slightly different. Is there a way to synchronize the category lists between client machines? I don't use priorities or locations, but is there a way to sync them, also?

Is there an import/export function for categories, priorities, and locations? If not, where are those stored in the file system? Would it be possible to sync those files using Dropbox, or something similar?

Thanks,

--Robert

IanS

Re: Sync categories list between clients?

Post by IanS » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:45 am

I have had the same issue, after a bit of delving around, I found that the categories, priorities and locations are stored as separate xml files within the Vueminder Program Data folder (Options > Program, and look for the Program Data folder location). I simply copied the relevant xml file over to my other two systems, and restarted Vueminder. Works perfectly.

As you can change the Program Data location, I guess that you could change the location to a sub-folder within the Dropbox folder, I am just guessing though at this stage though (one thing to think about, Vueminder stores its backups in that same folder, so how it would cope having that same backup folder for a number of PCs is anyone's guess).

Hope that helps.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Sync categories list between clients?

Post by VueSoft » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 pm

As IanS found, you can manually copy the XML files to each computer. Also, if you're sharing through VueMinder Server and you make changes to a category, priority, or location, those changes will sync to the other computers without needing to copy the XML file.

I wouldn't recommend trying to change the Program Data location to a folder that multiple computers will be accessing. You will very likely end up losing data because the data is only loaded when VueMinder starts, and changes made on one computer will clobber changes made on another.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA