Connecting to VueMinder 8.2 server from outside local net

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
blueguitarbob

Connecting to VueMinder 8.2 server from outside local net

Post by blueguitarbob » Fri May 27, 2011 3:42 pm

I have been using the 8.2 betas with the new SQL server, and I could never get my laptops to connect to the server through my router, when I was not at home. I had no problems when I was at home, connecting through my local WiFi or wired network, so I knew the server was working correctly. I assumed it was just a port forwarding problem with my router. I have been trying to solve the problem for the last week, and it was driving me crazy.

Today, I solved the problem, so I thought I would share it with the community. I also think you might want to put something in the docs about this, Dan. The problem was not my router, it was an incorrect setting in Windows Firewall on the server machine.

I installed VueMinder server on a machine running XP Pro SP3. When I installed the server, it automatically created rules in Windows Firewall for ports 1451 (SQLServerPort) and 1434 (SQLBrowserPort). However, it set the scope of those rules as limited to only the local network. I had to manually edit the scope of those exceptions to include "Any computer." After I did that, the server works fine through my router. I can be anywhere I have WiFi with my laptop, or tethered via my phone, and be connected to my VueMinder calendar server at home.

I think this problem is only with XP, because I just checked my Win 7 machines and it seems that Windows Firewall defaults to allowing connections from "Any Computer" on Win 7. On XP, however, I think the default is to limit the scope to the local net. Perhaps someone else has more knowledge of the default settings.

Anyway, if you have having problems connecting to your VM server from outside the local net, check the scope of the firewall rules on the server machine.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Connecting to VueMinder 8.2 server from outside local ne

Post by VueSoft » Fri May 27, 2011 10:26 pm

Thanks for sharing! I'm sure this information will benefit others that are looking for a way to connect and sync from outside their local network.

I've updated the instructions to include this information, under the troubleshooting/firewall section.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA