8.20 Update - no more sharing via NAS?

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
BillB

8.20 Update - no more sharing via NAS?

Post by BillB » Thu May 26, 2011 4:01 am

Does the use of MS SQL Server mean that it is no longer possible to share calendar files over a network where the files are located on a (Linux) NAS? I don't know a great deal about this, but you state that installation of MS SQL requires a > Windows XP PC. Presumably the shared files are hosted on this PC and it needs to be running (to state the obvious).

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: 8.20 Update - no more sharing via NAS?

Post by VueSoft » Thu May 26, 2011 10:46 pm

Hi BillB, unfortunately the new calendar sharing approach is no longer file-system based. The database communication is performed through SQL Server, which fixes the problems seen previously with shared calendars sometimes not syncing properly. You'll need a PC in order running SQL Server.

The following article explains how to move the SQL Server database to a NAS, but I don't know if this setup would work with VueMinder. I'm pretty sure it won't...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304261

One alternative would be to configure VueMinder to sync with Google Calendar on each of your computers. VueMinder extends Google Calendar data to include data specific to VueMinder, such as event colors, priorities, completion status, etc. This data won't be seen in Google Calendar, but will be seen in VueMinder on your other computers.

Another alternative would be to setup your calendars in VueMinder to publish and subscribe to the same ICS file on your NAS. Configure each computer to publish/subscribe to the same ICS file (one for each calendar). This approach will work well as long as you're not simultaneously editing the same calendar from two different computers.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA