VueMinder Calendar Pro 8.2.0 Beta

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: VueMinder Calendar Pro 8.2.0 Beta

Post by VueSoft » Thu May 19, 2011 12:32 am

Thanks for the suggestion blueguitarbob. Calendar ownership is based on user login name. As the calendar owner, you can adjust its settings from any computer. However, each computer will remember its settings and those settings won't be synced across the network (for example, to avoid multiple computers trying to publish to the same ics location at the same time).

Of course, the calendar owner could accidentally configure the calendar to publish or sync to the same external location from multiple computers. I'm not sure what would happen in that case. It would probably work okay...most the time.

There's really no easy solution I can think of, since I don't want to tie the calendar sync settings to certain computers and make it a pain to adjust the settings on other computers. I'll probably need to add something to the FAQ. I might also improve the software to detect when another computer is configured to publish a calendar, and warn the calendar owner if they try to enter the same sync setting on another computer - but that won't likely make it into 8.2.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu May 19, 2011 12:39 am

VueMinder Calendar Pro 8.2.0 Beta 5 is now available. It can be downloaded here:
VueMinder_Pro_Setup_8.2.0_BETA5.exe

The following improvements and corrections have been added since the previous beta:
  • Added the ability for locally shared calendars to also be published to ICS, synced with Outlook, or synced with Google Calendar. Any combination of these setting is also supported now, such as Outlook sync at the same time as ICS publishing.
  • Added an option to adjust the frequency of shared calendar syncing, instead of occurring automatically whenever changes are detected.
  • Improved performance of calendar sharing. If performance problems are seen, the sync frequency option can be used.
  • Corrected a problem with calendar ownership sometimes being lost due to the calendar appearance being modified by another user, when the option to share appearance settings is disabled.
  • Corrected problems with updates to locally shared calendars not syncing while offline.
  • Corrected a problem with default reminders not being assigned to events that are imported from csv, text, or Excel files.
  • Corrected the "Cleanup database" command in the Sharing Options window, so it will properly cleanup/optimize the database.
  • Corrected problems sharing calendars that contain single quote(s) in their names.
  • Corrected the calendar icon in the calendar list to properly refresh when sharing of a calendar is enabled/disabled.
  • Other minor corrections.
I need to do some more testing when the same calendar is shared over a local network as well as synced with both Outlook and Google Calendar, AND published to an ICS file. Also, syncing of category, priority, and location colors will only happen the next time a calendar is synced, instead of immediately. This will be improved.

Also, I'm planning to add a "Send Data to Portable" command for easily transferring data from the Pro version to the Portable version (on a USB stick), so you can take your current data to other computers without needing to mess with the syncing feature or SQL server. The Portable version will be getting an equivalent command for sending data back to the Pro version. I should have this feature completed within the next day or two.

It's looking like the official release will need to be pushed out another week, to allow more time for final testing and polishing.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

MichaelDevlin

Post by MichaelDevlin » Fri May 20, 2011 5:56 pm

Hi Dan,

Beta 5 has solved my Not Responding problems thus far. Have still had recurrence event issues whereby after dismissing them the popup keeps popping up all the time. Deleting the event and re entering it seems to fix the issue. The biggest problem though is that I entered 2 events last night when the server was offline and after starting up all pc's this morning (server online) those events have not synced to the server, only showing on my pc still, server has been online for about an hour and still nothing.
Thanks
Michael

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri May 20, 2011 9:39 pm

Hi Michael, I'm glad to hear the "Not Responding" problems have been solved. As for events not syncing if created while the server is offline, I think I know why this is happening, and a correction is currently in work.

Currently, if you create or edit events while offline, and then shut down the computer before the server connection is restored, those changes won't automatically sync the next time a connection is established. It should work if you don't shut down before re-connecting to the server.

To work around the problem, you can force the event to sync by opening it, making an arbitrary change, and then saving the event. This workaround shouldn't be necessary in the official 8.2.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat May 21, 2011 12:23 am

VueMinder Calendar Pro 8.2.0 Beta 6 is now available. It can be downloaded here:
VueMinder_Pro_Setup_8.2.0_BETA6.exe

The following improvements and corrections have been added since the previous beta:
  • Added the ability to password-protect the data. The password can be specified in the Program Options window. When this option is enabled, VueMinder won't load until the correct password is entered. The data will remain protected regardless of which computer is used to attempt loading the data.
  • Added a "Transfer Data to VueMinder Portable" command to the File menu, for easy transfer of data to the Portable (USB) version of VueMinder Calendar. The Portable version has also been improved with a command for transferring data in the opposite direction.
  • Added a "Tomorrow" option to the various date range drop-down lists.
  • Corrected problems with shared calendar events not syncing to the local network if created or edited while in offline mode and VueMinder is exited prior to going back online.
  • Corrected an error message when attempting to send events via email, if the event titles contain characters that result in invalid file names.
  • Corrected the "Share Calendar" submenu to include a "Sync Calendar" command for calendars that are shared over the local network.
A new beta of VueMinder Server is also available, and can be downloaded here:
32-bit: VueMinder_Server_1.0.0_BETA4_x86.exe
64-bit: VueMinder_Server_1.0.0_BETA4_x64.exe

Here's what has changed in VueMinder Server.
  • Added tables to the database for eventual syncing of notes, tasks, and contacts. Syncing of this data is not available yet, but in-work for a future release.
  • Improved to check for the necessary pre-requisite software, and open download pages for any software that is missing.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

blueguitarbob

Post by blueguitarbob » Sat May 21, 2011 1:36 pm

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the new beta. Everything is working really well for me.

What happens when more than one computer is set to sync the same calendar to Google? Does the system figure that out and one sync from one, or could it set up a race condition?

I'm solving that on my network by having a copy of VueMinder Calendar Pro on the same headless server as VueMinder SQL Server. Then, I only set the syncing/publishing to occur on that copy. That computer is on 24/7. But that setup is probably not common for most home users.

Looking forward to the syncing of tasks and notes in a future version, btw. I'm starting to depend on VueMinder more and more.

I have an appearance suggestion, also. I like how I can switch the event colors between calendar and category colors, but it would be helpful to have the option to show them in combination in one view. Other calendar software (Lightning, with an addon) allows the option of coloring the event with one main color, with a secondary color as a thin stripe down the left side of the event.

Applied to VueMinder Calendar, it would show the event colors as the calendar colors in the calendar view, with thin stripes of either the category color or the priority color down the left side. It would allow me to see the events colored mainly to differentiate by calendar color, but then use the stripes to distinguish different categories of events (meeting, class, deadline, event, etc.) in one view. You could change the main color/stripe color in different views to show different combinations, of course, but that's the one I would use most often.

You might have to shift the event box text to the right a little bit to make room for the stripe, but otherwise it seems like a relatively simple addon to your code. I know you are well along in the 8.2 path, so just put it on the list for 8.3.

--Robert

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun May 22, 2011 12:23 am

Hi Robert, thanks for the feedback and suggestion.
Thanks for the new beta. Everything is working really well for me.
That's great news! Please let me know if you encounter any problems. I'm running through my final pre-release tests. This will probably take a few days, since I need to do final qualification testing of everything that has changed, and it's a loooong list. The tentative release date is May 25.
What happens when more than one computer is set to sync the same calendar to Google? Does the system figure that out and one sync from one, or could it set up a race condition?
There are checks in place to prevent a race condition, but I need to do some more testing. Also, even the checks fail, an easy workaround would be to change Google Calendar sync from "Automatically" to some time frequency, like "Every 15 minutes".
I have an appearance suggestion, also. I like how I can switch the event colors between calendar and category colors, but it would be helpful to have the option to show them in combination in one view.
Thank you for the suggestion. I have this on my list of possible future improvements. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions!
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed May 25, 2011 7:35 pm

VueMinder Calendar 8.2 has been officially released. This release covers all variants - Lite, Pro, Portable, and Enterprise.

By default, the new version will be automatically detected the next time VueMinder starts. You can also use the "Check for Updates" command on the Help menu, but it might say 8.1.3 is the latest because the version list is only downloaded when the program first starts up. If that's the case, right-click the task tray icon, select "Exit", and then restart VueMinder via the desktop shortcut or Start menu. After it restarts, the new version should be detected. You can also download it here:
http://www.vueminder.com/index.php?page=download

I'd like to give a HUGE thanks to everyone that has assisted in beta testing this release. Your feedback, suggestions, and bug reports have been a big help in making this release the best it can be. The next version is already in work, so stay tuned for future updates.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

MichaelDevlin

Post by MichaelDevlin » Wed May 25, 2011 8:18 pm

Hi Dan,

Congrats on the new release, a wonderful improvement (who thought VueMinder couldn't get any better).
One quick question, I may be going blind but I couldn't see a final release of the server. Is there one or is beta 4 it?
Thanks

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed May 25, 2011 8:23 pm

Hi Michael, there is also an official release of VueMinder Server. It's the same as Beta 4 because no problems were found.

The following link contains the download buttons:
http://www.vueminder.com/index.php?mact ... eturnid=61
Dan Chartrand, Founder