VueMinder Calendar Pro 8.2.0 Beta

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: VueMinder Calendar Pro 8.2.0 Beta

Post by VueSoft » Mon May 16, 2011 8:37 pm

Hi Bob, thanks for the information. I'm not seeing the Google Calendar freezing when syncing from a read-only calendar, so I'm not sure what is causing it. Could you try adding the calendar back, but set the sync frequency to "Manually"? Does it still freeze up?

As for event deletions sometimes re-appearing when sharing over a local network, or changes sometimes not syncing, I've made some changes that I think will solve this. Note, I was only able to duplicate the problem when removing/editing occurrences belonging to recurring events. Please let me know if you see this problem with events that don't belong to a recurring series, since that would indicate my correction might not fix the same problem you're seeing. A new beta will be coming soon.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

MichaelDevlin

Post by MichaelDevlin » Mon May 16, 2011 8:57 pm

Hi Dan, I'm not sure the Not Responding problem is related to Google sync as I don't have any calendars syncing with google, yet I still get the Not Responding issue.
Michael

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon May 16, 2011 9:05 pm

Hi Michael, is the server connection online when you see the not responding problem? The only possible explanation I can think of is that maybe the server connection keeps timing out. It's supposed to auto-reconnect in a background process and not cause any lockups in the main window, but maybe that's not working. Did you see this problem in beta 3, or did it only start happening after updating to beta 4?
Dan Chartrand, Founder

MichaelDevlin

Post by MichaelDevlin » Mon May 16, 2011 9:45 pm

Dan, server connection seems to be fine, haven't noticed it go offline. If I remember correctly I reported the same error in Beta 2 I think, in Beta 3 it seemed to be OK but also in beta 3 the server was going offline and not reconnecting. The frequency off the Not Responding seems to be fairly consistent, about 10 seconds Not Responding then fine for 5 seconds and repeats this sequence over and over. I'm thinking I might uninstall all copies of VueMinder and also the server and start again with just 2 PC's sharing over LAN. Your thoughts.
Michael

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon May 16, 2011 10:06 pm

Hi Michael, reinstalling the server might fix it. VueMinder will attempt to reconnect to the server every 10 seconds to see if there are any updates that need to sync. On my test network, the time to reconnect is negligible (a few milliseconds). If you're familiar with SQL server, connection pooling is being used to make connecting faster...at least in theory.

Is there a different computer you could try installing the server on? Between the dropped connection problem you were seeing in beta 3, and the slow connection times in beta 4, I think something might be going on with SQL server installation, but it's hard to pinpoint.

I'm going to add a setting to the Sharing Options for adjusting the frequency of syncing, instead of automatically detecting when changes need to sync. The settings will be similar to the Google Calendar sync frequency settings. This will at least provide a workaround for anyone else that encounters this problem.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon May 16, 2011 11:00 pm

Michael, you might also double-check the date range specified on the "Events" tab. If you have a lot of recurring events and a large date range is specified, you might see some noticeable delays. Try selecting "The next 31 days", or some other smaller date range, to see if that has any effect.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

BobJanice

Post by BobJanice » Tue May 17, 2011 12:35 pm

Dan,

I deleted all of the Google calendars and then re-added them one by one to the program. So far so good - Calendar Pro is behaving normally - i.e. no slow downs, no "not responding", etc.

I'm beginning to think that my problems yesterday were somehow caused by Google itself. To have the same problem on two different machines running different versions (32bit and 64bit Windows 7) of the same OS and now to have no problems on either one, is too much of a coincidence for me. Perhaps Google was having server problems and I interpreted that as Calendar Pro problems. Best I can say right now is that everything is working!! :)

Looking forward to the final version . . . .

Bob

blueguitarbob

Post by blueguitarbob » Tue May 17, 2011 9:16 pm

Hi Dan,

I managed to install the server, but I had to manually install the Microsoft SQL server first in order to get it to work. Your installer could not successfully complete the install by itself. Everything seems to be working fine now, though.

I have a question regarding Google or .ics sync with shared calendars. It appears like I cannot use Google sync or .ics publishing with shared calendars. Is that going to change in a later beta? That's a killer for me, otherwise.

I love the new calendar sharing scheme, which I am sure will work a lot better than the old architecture. Using a SQL server should make the sharing work a lot better. I love the ability to have synchronized calendars across my two laptops and my one desktop machine.

However, I also need to get those calendars onto my Android phone. It can be read-only access, but I need to be able to see my calendars and generate reminders on the phone, otherwise the calendars are not very useful. I can do that two ways: by synching with Google calendars, or by publishing .ics files to my ftp server. Apparently, I can't do that with shared calendars, which is a problem.

I understand why that is very difficult to do on the clients. Would it be easier to do on the server? I've never worked with Microsoft's SQL server, but it seems like you could write a task that would perform the syncing or publishing of specific calendars. Even if it was just one way, sending from VueMinder to Gcal, that would be good enough for right now.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed May 18, 2011 12:33 am

Hi blueguitarbob, welcome to the forums and thank you for the feedback. I've made some underlying changes to how database syncing works, which should fix the problems Michael is seeing in the beta with frequent "Not Responding" behavior - or to at least provide a way to work around the problem by specifying a syncing frequency and the ability to manually command syncing when needed.

These changes also will enable shared calendars to be published to ICS or synced with Outlook/Google. To prevent syncing issues, only the computer that "owns" the shared calendar will be allowed to perform these additional operations on the shared calendar, which I think makes sense and should prevent many headaches and concurrency issues. I've been playing around with my initial implementation of this improvement, and it seems to be working well (which is weird...). It's pretty neat to make a change on one computer and then have another computer automatically send those changes to an ICS file or Google Calendar. Spooky...

These changes will be in Beta 5, which I hope to have finished later tomorrow. I need to run some more tests to ensure everything will work as intended.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

blueguitarbob

Post by blueguitarbob » Wed May 18, 2011 10:05 am

These changes also will enable shared calendars to be published to ICS or synced with Outlook/Google. To prevent syncing issues, only the computer that "owns" the shared calendar will be allowed to perform these additional operations on the shared calendar, which I think makes sense and should prevent many headaches and concurrency issues. I've been playing around with my initial implementation of this improvement, and it seems to be working well (which is weird...). It's pretty neat to make a change on one computer and then have another computer automatically send those changes to an ICS file or Google Calendar. Spooky...

These changes will be in Beta 5, which I hope to have finished later tomorrow. I need to run some more tests to ensure everything will work as intended.
That's fantastic news, Dan! It sounds like Beta 5 will solve my problem perfectly.

One suggestion, though. I assume you are keeping track of the "ownership" of a calendar through a token or flag. It would be useful to be able to edit that setting per calendar, perhaps in an "advanced" dialog. That way, you can edit all existing shared calendars to have the same "owner" computer, which would manage any syncing/publishing. That won't matter to me, because I only have three computers and I can keep track of that in my head. But I was managing a network of computers with multiple users, I would want that ability. Otherwise, you could potentially have multiple "owner" computers in the network controlling the syncing of different calendars. In order to change those settings, you would potentially have to walk around the office to change settings on all of those computers individually.

You could probably do that through your existing permissions system, with a new "owner" category. You'd have to build some mechanism to transfer that permission between user IDs, though, because there can only be one owner at a time. It may also be nice to make some calendar settings only available to the user with owner permissions.