VueMinder Calendar Pro 8.2.0 Beta

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

VueMinder Calendar Pro 8.2.0 Beta

Post by VueSoft » Tue May 03, 2011 12:37 am

Update (5/25/2011)
The beta is now completed and version 8.2 has been officially released. It can be downloaded here:
http://www.vueminder.com/index.php?page=download

VueMinder Server 1.0 has also been officially released and is available here:
http://www.vueminder.com/index.php?mact ... eturnid=61

A beta release of VueMinder Calendar Pro 8.2.0 (Beta 6) is available for download:
VueMinder_Pro_Setup_8.2.0_BETA6.exe

Before installing, first ensure the current version isn't running by right-clicking its icon in the task tray and selecting "Exit".

Be aware, this version of VueMinder now has a dependency on Microsoft .NET 3.5 SP1 (instead of 2.0). Most computers, especially ones running Vista or Win 7, should already have this installed. However, if you're still using XP, you might be prompted to install .NET 3.5 as part of the VueMinder installation. Unfortunately, Windows 98/ME are no longer supported because they can't run .NET 3.5.

If you'll be using VueMinder Server, there's a dependency on Windows Installer 4.5. If you don't already have it, you can download it here.

There's also a dependency on Microsoft Powershell 2.0. This should already be installed if you're using Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2003 SP2, Windows Vista SP1, or Windows 7. If VueMinder Server doesn't properly install, ensure you have Powershell 2.0 installed. You can download it here.

The underlying technology used for calendar sharing over the local network has been changed. This change will make calendar sharing much more reliable, fixing the problems noted previously with inconsistent syncing and other performance issues.

Instead of using a Microsoft Access database, a new product named VueMinder Server will need to be installed on one of your computers or servers. VueMinder Server installs Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 and a VueMinder database. Any existing shared calendars will no longer be shared after upgrading to 8.2.0. The calendars will still be present on each computer as local copies, so there won't be any data loss. To migrate the previously shared calendars to the new database, follow these steps:

1. Identify the computer you'd like to use as the server. You can still use the computer as you would normally, and VueMinder can continue to run on that computer. It doesn't need to be a dedicated server.

2. Download the appropriate version of VueMinder Server.
32-bit: VueMinder_Server_1.0.0_BETA4_x86.exe
64-bit: VueMinder_Server_1.0.0_BETA4_x64.exe

3. Run the downloaded file to initiate installation. Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 will be installed with an instance named "VUESOFT". This instance runs on port 1451, so ensure your server's firewall isn't blocking connections on that port.

4. In VueMinder Calendar Pro 8.2.0, go to the Sharing Options (via the Options menu) and select your server's machine name from the drop-down list. If the machine name isn't listed, then you probably have a firewall blocking port 1451. You might also need to reboot the server or ensure the SQL services are running, including the SQL Server Browser service. These services should be configured to start automatically.

5. After selecting the server name, right-click the calendar you were previously sharing, and select the "Share to Local Network" command to re-share the calendar.

6. On the other computers that were looking at the same shared calendar(s), delete the calendar(s) from the calendar list by right-clicking and selecting the "Delete Calendar" command. This will ensure syncing goes smoothly in the following steps.

7. In the Sharing Options, select the same server name.

8. On the File menu, use the "Add Shared Calendar From Local Network" command to re-add the shared calendar. It should sync within a few seconds and all the shared events will return.

9. If you get this far, you're done. You should no longer see any intermittent problems with events not syncing. Also, computer clock differences will no longer be an issue.

If you try the beta and find any problems, please send the details to support@vueminder.com, so a correction can be made before the release becomes official.

A series of blog articles is currently in work, highlighting the many other improvements that have gone into 8.2. In the meantime, here's a quick listing:
  • Added a "Save as Web Page" command to the File menu, allowing the calendar to be saved directly to HTML and optionally uploaded to an FTP server for display on a website.
  • Added the ability to schedule voice (text-to-speech) reminders to any phone number, including land lines.
  • Added the ability to send SMS reminders to any cell phone, using a web-based SMS provider.
  • Added the ability to hear a voice (text-to-speech) reminder when a popup reminder or desktop alert appears.
  • Added a "New Appointment for Contact" command to the File menu, for automatically associating a contact with an event. This feature could be used for quickly scheduling client appointments.
  • Added a new "Add Outlook Calendar" command to the File menu. This command streamlines and simplifies adding an existing Outlook calendar to VueMinder and configuring it to sync.
  • Added an option for selecting which columns should be visible in the popup reminder window.
  • Improved calendar sharing over a local network to sync via Microsoft SQL Server instead of Microsoft Access. This will fix the performance and reliability problems of calendar sharing.
  • Improved the layout of the popup reminder window. The controls at the bottom of the window now use less space and button positioning is more intuitive.
  • Improved media playback on the popup reminder window to be more reliable and use less memory. The look and feel of the playback controls have also been improved.
  • Improved the popup reminder window to recall the number of visible reminder rows.
  • Improved the desktop alert reminder settings to allow looping of a wav file.
  • Improved the performance of desktop alert dismissal. Alerts will immediately be removed, instead of having a several second delay on some computers.
  • Improved desktop alert snoozing so each individual reminder will recall its previously snoozed time, and will use that as the default when snoozing again.
  • Improved performance of calendar sharing over a local network to use significantly less CPU time.
  • Improved the Google Calendar sync settings to allow events older than 4000 days to be included.
  • Improved the Year view so clicking a month's name will result in the clicked month being activated and shown in the Month view.
  • Improved printing of the Monthly layout to show a "more activity" indicator when there are more events defined in a day than will fit in the printout.
  • Improved activation of calendars in the Calendar List. When a calendar's box is checked to make it visible, the calendar will become active and will be the default for any new events.
  • Improved the icons in the Calendar List to more clearly indicate the types of calendars (Google Calendar, Outlook, subscription, published, shared).
  • Improved the active calendar indicator in the Calendar List to be separate from the calendar icon.
  • Improved the active row indicator used in various lists, such as in the Recent Reminders window, popup reminder, Event/Task/Note list, etc.
  • Corrected problems with reminders sometimes not appearing or being transmitted when expected.
  • Corrected previewing popup reminders for recurring events that have occurrence numbering enabled.
  • Corrected the popup reminder window to recall its previous location after being minimized to the task bar and then restored.
  • Corrected the Task List to not show tasks that are due after the specified ending date range.
  • Corrected slow program performance on some computers where 100% of the CPU would eventually be used.
  • Corrected performance problems when a large number of recurring events are defined.
  • Corrected deletion of categories, priorities, and locations when calendars are shared over a local network, so the deleted items won't return the next time a sync occurs.
  • Corrected a problem where a duplicate locations and category names could be created, and then unable to be removed.
  • Corrected the Week view on the Desktop Calendar to not switch to the current week after syncing with Google Calendar or Outlook.
  • Corrected initial syncing of a Google Calendar containing many recurring events. Previously, it could take several minutes to complete the sync and some computers would report an error message. Syncing should now be significantly faster.
  • Corrected a problem with duplicate events being generated if event titles are changed in Google Calendar and synced 1-way to VueMinder.
  • Corrected a problem with single occurrence events sometimes becoming recurring events after syncing with Google Calendar.
  • Corrected exporting calendars containing recurring event variations to ICS. When the ICS file was imported in other calendar programs, the variation would appear along with the original recurring event.
  • Corrected an error when importing and exporting recurring events from/to ICS files, if the recurrence pattern is set to the last day of the month.
  • Corrected event ending times when importing or subscribing to ICS files containing events that end at exactly 12:00 AM UTC.
  • Corrected saving of the desktop calendar opacity when the slider is clicked instead of dragged.
  • Corrected editing of the Location and Calendar fields in the Event Editor when the backspace key is pressed or text is pasted.
  • Corrected initiation of text messages from the Contact Editor for contacts that don't have an email address entered.
  • Corrected entry of addresses in the Contact Editor when a state or province isn't entered. The postal code was not appearing.
  • Many other minor improvements and corrections.
Note, additional improvements and corrections are still planned and this is probably not the final beta.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

MichaelDevlin

Re: VueMinder Calendar Pro 8.2.0 Beta

Post by MichaelDevlin » Tue May 03, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi Dan,

Thanks for getting new update out so soon, list of improvements looks very impressive.
I have come across a problem installing the Server.
Goes through the installation process and gets to what I imagine is the end and says Validating the Installation, then a dialogue box pops up saying:
An error occurred.
The system cannot find the file specified.

Tried 3 separate installations and got the same message each time.
Running Windows 7 32-bit.

Any advice?

Thanks

PS: After getting the above error I tried to reinstall and this time it said it found a compatible server (as per pic)
server_setup.JPG
server_setup.JPG (36.35 KiB) Viewed 17350 times
clicking next to configure server i get this error prompt
server_install_error.JPG
server_install_error.JPG (50.04 KiB) Viewed 17350 times

MichaelDevlin

Post by MichaelDevlin » Tue May 03, 2011 10:52 pm

Hi Dan, further to the above I have installed sql server successfully but when installing the VueMinder database I get the error (VueMinder Server Database Installation Failed) as above. I have googled the contents of this error and did find a bit of information in regard to The primary file must be at least 3 MB to accommodate a copy of the model database. As I'm no expert I'm not sure if I am on the right track. I have tried on 3 different PC's and a laptop and same on all.
Cheers
Michael

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue May 03, 2011 11:06 pm

Hi Michael, thanks for letting me know about the problem. I haven't seen this on my installations. I'll do some research and will let you know what I find.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed May 04, 2011 12:51 am

I believe the latest version (BETA 2) of the VueMinder Server installer should fix this. The links have been updated in the first post. Please let me know if you still see problems.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

MichaelDevlin

Post by MichaelDevlin » Wed May 04, 2011 2:59 am

Hi Dan, Server installed as expected, selected server in sharing options but am unable to see server from other computers, not sure if I'm missing a step.

Also just discovered after a couple of minutes VueMinder Calendar is now Not Responding on my PC (has server installed), shut down calendar and restart same problem, backed up, uninstalled both calendar and server, reinstalled calendar, used it without server for 15 - 20 minutes, no problems. Installed server, selected server in sharing options and all still seem to be OK, right clicked on calendar and selected share to local network and within a minute or 2 calendar stop responding again. With a restart of the calendar it shows as Not Responding instantly, by not responding I mean that as soon as I click anywhere on the screen the calendar dims and shows Not Responding in the Title Bar. Not sure what the cause may be but all seems to be OK until I share calender to network.

** Update: On a restart of PC VueMinder starts in Task Tray but Windows Task Manager shows VueMinder under Applications tab with a status of Not Responding (also shown under processes) then after about 60 seconds it responded on and off a few times (still in Applications tab) then everything started to work and VueMinder disappeared from Applications tab, now only showing in Applications tab when viewed as it should do.
Been 10 minutes and still running OK.
Still can't see server in sharing options on other PC's though.

6:30PM here in Australia, shutting down and going home. Will see what sort of behavior I get tomorrow morning when I log on and will let you know.

Thanks.
Michael

MichaelDevlin

Post by MichaelDevlin » Wed May 04, 2011 8:03 pm

Hi Dan, update today, Calendar rather unstable keeps going to Not Responding for 15 to 30 seconds almost every time I try to use it. Also 1 task that was set with an occurrence for daily will not dismiss popping up every 30 seconds. Tried to delete it and won't go away. Decided to uninstall. Calendars (using 8.2.0 beta) on other PC's without server are functioning fine.
Cheers

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed May 04, 2011 10:26 pm

Hi Michael, based on what you've described, I'm almost positive this locking up behavior is due to network timeouts trying to communicate with SQL Server. These timeouts are probably due to your firewall blocking communication.

The firewall needs to be configured to allow communication with the following items:
  • C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlbrowser.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.VUESOFT\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe
  • TCP ports 1434 and 1451
Are you using Windows Firewall? If so, here are some instructions:
1. In the Control Panel, go to “System and Security” -> “Windows Firewall”. Click “Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall”.

2. Click the “Allow another program” button. Click the “Browse” button and select “C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlbrowser.exe”.

3. Repeat, but this time select “C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.VUESOFT\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe”. You settings should look like this:

4. Click OK, and then check if the other computers can access your server. If they still can’t, then you’ll need to add exceptions to the firewall for TCP traffic on ports 1451 and 1434. This can be done by clicking the “Advanced settings” link on the left side of the Windows Firewall window. Go to the Inbound rules and click “New Rule”. Select “Port” as the rule type, applicable to TCP, with port numbers 1434, 1451.

If that still doesn't fix it, try uninstalling all the SQL Server 2008 R2 stuff (via the Control Panel), and then run the latest VueMinder Server installation, linked above. It's possible a glitch in the previous installation is causing the problems you're seeing now.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Darwin

Post by Darwin » Wed May 04, 2011 10:33 pm

Hi Dan - I'm running this beta and just wanted to report that, sadly, the CPU hogging issue that I've been experiencing under Windows 7 64-bit remains. FWIW, RAM is at 240MB of working set memory used by VueMinder.exe *32 as well...

BobJ

Post by BobJ » Thu May 05, 2011 10:51 am

Hi, Dan --

For about 10 days I've been playing with the trial version of VueMinder Pro, hoping to convert my Outlook calendar and contacts to VueMinder. I'm running on a Windows XP system that will soon be converted to Windows 7 64-bit and my version of Outlook is not compatible with that OS.

I was experiencing both the high CPU usage and high memory usage that have been mentioned here, which would have made VueMinder unusable for me. Yesterday I visited this forum and discovered the beta version, which I installed. The CPU usage had been bouncing between 0 and 15 in task manager with 8.1.3, but it now stays at 0 with 8.2.0, which totally fixes my main issue with the program on Windows XP. But now I saw the post above which reports that the CPU usage problem still exists on Windows 7 64-bit, which is what I will soon be using.

The memory usage did not change much in 8.2.0 from what it was with 8.1.3. When the program loads the usage is only 5MB, but that quickly rises to 200-300MB and is constantly changing. I have VueMinder minimized to the task bar most of the time, but just clicking on it to maximize it and immediately clicking again to minimize it returns the memory usage to the initial 5MB and then it starts rising again. A short time ago I did that and within a few minutes the memory usage went to 510MB, which is more than twice what I've seen so far. I have plenty of RAM, so memory usage isn't really an issue as long as it isn't using up CPU time. I'm hopeful that the CPU issue on Windows 7 will be fixed soon.