Restore Vueminder data after restoring C drive

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Telomostro

Restore Vueminder data after restoring C drive

Post by Telomostro » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:51 am

I very often utilize Acronis to restore my C drive due to me going to sites I shouldn't go and catching all buncha viruses (I have to do it it's my job)
Now... when I restore my C drive to a backup taken say.. 3, 4 days earlier I obviously loose all of my calendar entries for those 3, 4 days. Yes, I realize that I can make a C drive restore and then a Vueminder restore but I want to make this process as easy and quick as possible and so I moved the Private Data Location

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\VueSoft\VueMinder folder to
D:\Vueminder

but I realized that Vueminder has created another Vueminder folder back in the old C drive location and when I wrote something in my calendar a file called ProgramSettings.xml (which created itself in the old C drive location) got "modified" while nothing was "modified in the new D drive location.

My question is:

Is my Calendar data safe in D: drive? if my C: drive were to be restored to a 1 week old backup would that interfere with my Vuminder calendar entries for the last week....?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Restore Vueminder data after restoring C drive

Post by VueSoft » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:38 pm

Hi Telomostro, welcome to the forums. Did you change the data folder using the Program Options window? If so, you should see the file named CalendarInfo.bin in the new location gets updated as changes are made, within about 8-10 seconds. The ProgramSettings.xml will still be located on the C drive. This contains your settings and informs VueMinder where to look for the actual data.

You can safely save your data on your D drive. Note, if you have to restore the C drive, and if the ProgramSettings.xml file doesn't get restored for some reason, then you might need to go back into the Program Options to select the D: drive location for your data. If that happens, VueMinder 8.1.3 will detect that the D: drive has data and will ask to load it. Make sure you say yes, otherwise the previous data will be overwritten with the current (empty) data. Previous versions wouldn't ask to load the data, so make sure you're using version 8.1.3.

Also, in case you haven't found it yet, VueMinder has a built-in backup feature. I'd recommend configuring the backup location to your D drive or somewhere else that's safe and not likely to get wiped. The default backup location is on the C: drive.

I hope that answers your question. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA