Pro and Portable sync?

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Jokeresse

Pro and Portable sync?

Post by Jokeresse » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:22 pm

I recently bought the VueMinder Calendar Pro and the portable versions online at the promotional prices, which I was very happy about. Although I was under the impression that I would be able to sync the two, since the web page that promoted the portable one was talking about flexibility. I must admit I did not get the chance to thoroughly go through all the features, but it seems like I have to enter all my schedules manually in my portable calendar, after already having done so once in my regular calendar. Is this really the case? Or is there a way I can sync my portable with the PC version and simply unplug my thumb drive and go? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you. :?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Pro and Portable sync?

Post by VueSoft » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi Jokeresse, welcome to the forums. To transfer data between Pro and Portable, you can use the "Backup Data" command on the File menu. The data can be saved to a "vbackup" file, which can then be opened by browsing to the file using the "Restore Data" command. Basically, in the Pro version you'd use the "Backup Data" command to generate a vbackup file to the USB drive where the Portable version is located. When you later run the Portable version, the first thing you'd do is use the "Restore Data" command to load the current data from the Pro version.

I'm planning to improve this by adding "Send Data to Portable" and "Get Data From Portable" commands to the Pro version. Likewise, the Portable version would get new "Send Data to Pro" and "Get Data From Pro" commands. This will make transferring data more intuitive and streamline the process.

Thank you for the feedback. I'll post a reply when this improvement is completed.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

tsunamisurfer

Post by tsunamisurfer » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:40 am

Same question, and looking forward to the addition of the feature as described. Also appreciation for the clear response. Fine product.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat May 21, 2011 12:50 am

VueMinder Calendar Pro 8.2 has been improved with a "Transfer Data to VueMinder Portable" command on the File menu and main toolbar. When clicked, a window will appear for specifying the location of the Portable version. After selecting the location, click the Transfer button. All the current Pro version data will be transferred to the Portable version and automatically loaded the next time the Portable version starts.

Likewise, the Portable version has been improved with a "Transfer Data to VueMinder Pro" command, also on the File menu and main toolbar. When clicked, the Portable version data will be transferred to the Pro version on the current computer. A message will appear stating the transfer was successful, and providing the option to automatically start the Pro version.

The addition of these 2 commands will make syncing data between the Pro and Portable versions much easier. Here's an example use-case showing how this improvement will work:

Background:
The user runs the Pro version on their PC because it starts automatically with Windows. The user also purchased the Portable version because they occasionally need access to their calendar from other computers, and transferring this data via a USB stick is convenient and reliable.

Use Case:
1. The user needs to go offsite to another computer. They insert their USB stick, where VueMinder Calendar Portable is located, into their PC.

2. The "Transfer Data to VueMinder Portable" command on the main toolbar is clicked. The specified location is remembered because this is not the first time the user has transferred data.

3. The user clicks the Transfer button and confirms overwriting of existing Portable data. All their current calendar data is now on the USB stick.

4. The user exits VueMinder Calendar Pro and ejects the USB stick. They take the USB stick to the offsite computer.

5. The USB stick is inserted into the other computer and VueMinder Calendar Portable is started. They see exactly the same data that was seen on their main PC.

6. During the course of the day, the user modifies their calendar data and adds several new events. These changes are saved on the USB stick when using the Portable version.

7. The user returns to their main PC and wants to see their current data, which is now located on their USB stick. They insert the USB stick and start VueMinder Calendar Portable.

8. On the main toolbar, the "Transfer Data to VueMinder Pro" command is clicked. The location of the Pro version data is automatically detected. The user is prompted to confirm overwriting the data.

9 After the data is transferred, the user is prompted whether they want to run the Pro version. They select Yes.

10. The Portable version is closed and the Pro version started. Now all their latest data is back in the Pro version.

A beta of the Pro version is available here:
http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... ?f=5&t=518

Unfortunately, there's no public beta of the Portable version because of the way it's licensed. However, the next version will be released very soon.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Jokeresse

Post by Jokeresse » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:24 pm

Wow, thank you. I will need to look into this.