High CPU usage.

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
grimace15

High CPU usage.

Post by grimace15 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:22 pm

I have experienced two different occations where VueMinder is eating up 25% of my quad core CPU. It makes the system noticably sluggish and when I go into task manger (windows 7, 64 bit) it shows a VueMinder process at 25% CPU. When I end the process from task manager and restart the application, everything returns to normal. I do not sync on a network or any outside calanders (google, etc.)

Any idea why the application does this?

Thanks
Joe Y.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: High CPU usage.

Post by VueSoft » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:32 pm

Hi Joe, I'm not sure what would cause this problem. CPU usage should normally be 1% or lower. Are you using the latest version? It has a number of performance improvements which might fix the problem you're seeing.

Also, could you send a backup of your data (using the Backup Data command on the File menu) to support@vueminder.com? I'm guessing there's something in the data that is causing this problem. Using your data, I might be able to duplicate the problem and track down what is causing it. The data will be kept strictly confidential and will be scrubbed as soon as I've finished.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Darwin

Post by Darwin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:15 pm

I had this problen with the latest version as well and traced the problem to Google Calendar synchronizing. As Google synching doesn't work very well for me anyway (problem is on google's end, not Dan's!), I simply disabled the synch and all has been well since then.

Darwin

Post by Darwin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:39 am

Well... I had to kill VueMinder again late last night because it was utilizing 50% (ie all of one of two cores) of my CPU and my computer was sluggish. I shut the computer down before bed and have now had it up for an hour. VueMinder is already using 300+MB of Working Set memory, which seems excessive. In addition, it is constantly cycling my CPU - up to 15%. I"ve no idea what it's doing. I have no shares enabled and I don't synchronize my calendars with any other program/web-based calendar...

**OK after writing the above, I re-checked my VueMinder calendars and Google Synch had been magically re-enabled on my main calendar. I disabled that and checked all other shares and synchs to make sure that they are "off" and it has tamed the beast. I also noticed an immediate 150+MB drop in RAM usage.**

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:29 pm

Hi Darwin, I'm not sure why you're seeing this behavior when Google Calendar sync is enabled. I'm not seeing this happen on any of my test computers.

My guess is that your firewall or security software is getting involved and messing with VueMinder's processing.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Darwin

Post by Darwin » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:50 am

Hi Dan,

I actually dropped by to update my previous two posts - VueMinder's CPU usage shot up to 70% (so one and 1/3 of a core, on my dual core system) and 400MB of RAM last night and I had to kill it's process via TM again. I restarted it and checked each calendar and nothing is being shared, sycnchronized, published, or subscribed (I had unsubscribed "Canadian Holidays" earlier in the day).

I run Win 7 64-bit and the Windows Firewall (I've just checked and VueMinder has already been "excepted"). My AV/As software is Microsoft Security Essentials 2. Even idling and "behaving itself", VueMinder uses around 175 MB of RAM. On a system with 4GB of RAM, this doesn't bother me much, but I wonder if that's higher than normal as well?

If I can provide any more information to help in tracing this problem, I'd be happy to do so - just let me know.

Cheers,

Mike

grimace15

Post by grimace15 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:57 am

It occured again this morning. It's eating up one of my CPU's. I will be sending you the backup file shortly via e-mail along with some screenshots.

Joe Y.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:18 pm

I received the data. I'll run some tests to see if I can find why this is happening. How long do you normally run VueMinder before you start seeing the problem?
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Darwin

Post by Darwin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:51 pm

Speaking for myself, it's random. It's been pretty stable for at least 24 hours and yet in the past I've had the problem occur within an hour or two of starting it up.

grimace15

Post by grimace15 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:14 pm

It is really random, that is, I have not noticed a pattern.

The computer I have it on is on and runs all the time. It does not go to sleep or get turned off.

I can tell you that it usually is on for a couple of days before this occurs and maybe happens once a week or so, but so far I have not noticed it occuring on any specific day.

The computer may be turned on and I may not use it for a day or so, so I really cannot say how long it has been that way before I sit down to use it.