Shared data location inaccessible error

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
neis

Shared data location inaccessible error

Post by neis » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:35 pm

Hi Dan and All,

I am using the VueMinder Pro ver 8.1.3 60 days trial so we can evaluated the calendar sharing features. We created five calendars and configured them to be shared over the network (workgroup configuration). Everything worked fine till few days ago when non of the shared calendars are synch-ing anymore. Each computer sees its own version of the shared calendar.

When I look at the Properties of a shared calendar (regardless on which computer) the Sharing tab displays the following message:

"The shared data location at '.........' is currently either inaccessible or offline. You will be unable to change calendar sharing permissions until the connection to the shared data location is restored."

The '..........' above is like this:
-> 'C:\Shares\Calendars' on the computer that the shared calendars have been created and it is pointing to a local folder.
-> '\\SERVER\Calendars' on the rest of the computers.

I checked the "visibility" of the shared folder and I can see it from all computers.
I checked the permissions and I can created/edit/delete files in the \\SERVER\Calendars folder from any computer.

In the above folder there are only two files, SharedCalendars.mdb and SharedCalendars.ldb

Does anybody know how to fix this problem?

Thank you,
Laurentiu

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Shared data location inaccessible error

Post by VueSoft » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:44 pm

Hi Laurentiu, welcome to the forums. Have you tried exiting and restarting VueMinder? Right-click the task tray icon, select "Exit", and then restart via the Start menu shortcut.

If that doesn't fix it, try rebooting all computers that are viewing the shared calendar. If that doesn't fix it either, please let me know.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

neis

Post by neis » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:24 pm

Dear Dan,

I did all that with no success. I also removed the "ldb" file but did not help.

All computers have Windos 7 Pro.

FYI, I checked under My Computer -> Manage -> Shared Folders -> Open Files for the SharedCalendar.mdb file and it is listed as beeing opened by the workstations.

FYI, when I try to select attach a shared calendar from the network, the window that should list all available calendars opens but it is empty.

What does the calendar software look for and/or check in order to show the "Sharing" tab available? Could the database file be corrupted?

Also, I mentioned that each workstation on which the shared calendar is loaded shows different events and also users can created new events on this calendar. This means there is a copy of the calendar on each workstation? Could I use this to "reconstruct" in a way a new calendar file? I can imagine, as much as you can, several scenarious to follow, which way would be safe?

Thank you,
Laurentiu

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:03 pm

Hi Laurentiu, it sounds like the database may have somehow become corrupted. Do you have MS Access? If so, try opening the database in Access. If it's corrupted, you'll get a message and Access will attempt to repair the database.

If that doesn't fix it, you can re-create the database because each computer has a local copy of the data. The safest method to fix this would be to do the following:

1. Go to the Program Options (via the Options menu) on one of the computers and specify a new shared folder. This will generate an empty database file at the specified location.

2. Command the previously shared calendar to be shared again, via the Sharing tab in the Calendar Properties window. Also adjust user permissions as needed.

3. Go to each computer and update the shared data folder to point to the new location.

4. Rename the old (local) shared calendar on the other computers.

5. Add the new shared calendar via the "Add Shared Calendar From Local Network" command.

6. Find the local events that were created after sharing stopped working, right-click those events, and select "Assign to Calendar". Select the shared calendar from the list.

7. After assigning the events to the shared calendar, the previous calendar can be removed.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, it would be a good idea to maintain a backup of the SharedCalendars.mdb file, in the rare event that it becomes corrupted again. FYI, this is the first time I've encountered this problem, so whatever happened to corrupt the database is definitely not typical.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA