Timed Backups

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
JimVue

Timed Backups

Post by JimVue » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:33 pm

I am a new Lite user. I have noticed that I am getting 3 new backup files a day in the VuSoft folder of my Application Data. Is there any limit to the number of files that I will eventually end up with (i.e., Is there an automated purge?)? What are these files used for? What would be the impact if I simply do a manual delete of them every 30 days or so?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Timed Backups

Post by VueSoft » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:47 pm

Hi JimVue, welcome to the forums. As you're seeing, VueMinder automatically generates backups of the data. The backup files are usually small, about 1/10th the size of a typcial MP3. They also take just a fraction of a second to generate, and generation is performed in the background so you'll never notice any performance slowdown while a backup is being created.

The default behavior is to automatically generate a backup every 8 hours, and to automatically delete backups that are older than 14 days. You can adjust these settings by using the "Backup Data" command on the File menu.

The "Restore Data" command can be used to recover a previous backup. This may become necessary in the unlikely case that data becomes corrupted, or you accidentally delete something and are unable to undo the deletion due to subsequent changes.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

JimVue

Re: Timed Backups

Post by JimVue » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:30 am

Thanks for the quick and informative response. I looked for a solution everywehere but in the File menu. :(