Shared calendar problems with 8.1.2

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
ericrep

Shared calendar problems with 8.1.2

Post by ericrep » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:49 am

Hi Dan -

I'm new to the forums and relatively new to VueMinder (started last November with version 7.4.3). I really appreciate all the work you put into updating the calendar - fixing bugs and adding features. Unfortunately, at least for me, 8.1.2 has added some significant bugs that I haven't seen before.

1) Someone else reported a problem with deleted events reappearing. I had that too. I also had what I think is a related problem of events appearing with old titles. And when I changed the title, it changed back. It took several tries before the titles finally stayed the way I wanted them

I have two desktop computers on my home network that are on almost all the time. I also have a laptop that I only use occasionally. I have VueMinder set to start automatically when I start Windows on the desktops.

2) Since installing 8.1.2, I frequently get a message on my home office desktop (which should be the owner of all my shared calendars) saying "[Name] is a shared calendar. Do you want to also remove it from sharing? This will result in the calendar no longer being shared with other users. Click Yes to remove sharing, or No to only remove the calendar from your local calendar list." I don't want either option! I want to keep sharing the calendar! Please tell me what I can do to fix this or please add it to the fixes for a future release.

3) Related to #2 and perhaps related to the changing titles in #1, when I went to add back the shared calendars that were removed from my local calendar list, I discovered that the owner of one of my five calendars had been changed from my office desktop to my kitchen desktop. How do I change the owner and keep it from changing again?

Thanks,
Eric

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Shared calendar problems with 8.1.2

Post by VueSoft » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:42 am

Hi ericrep, welcome to the forums.
1) Someone else reported a problem with deleted events reappearing. I had that too. I also had what I think is a related problem of events appearing with old titles.
Corrections for these problems are in work for the next version.
2) Since installing 8.1.2, I frequently get a message on my home office desktop (which should be the owner of all my shared calendars) saying "[Name] is a shared calendar. Do you want to also remove it from sharing?
This message should only appear when the calendar is commanded to be deleted. Are you seeing this appear randomly, while the computer is not in use? Or does it happen when you're using VueMinder and pressing keys?

My wild guess... Do you have the "Delete" command on the Edit menu mapped to the Delete key? If so, try removing that keyboard shortcut. This should eliminate the message. The shortcut can be removed by using the "Customize Menus and Keyboard" command on the Tools menu. Click the "Keyboard" button, select the "Edit" category, click the "Delete" command, and then specify "None" as the keyboard shortcut.
Related to #2 and perhaps related to the changing titles in #1, when I went to add back the shared calendars that were removed from my local calendar list, I discovered that the owner of one of my five calendars had been changed from my office desktop to my kitchen desktop. How do I change the owner and keep it from changing again?
This was a bug in the previous version, where the owner would sometimes get switched if a non-owner opened the Calendar Properties window and then clicked OK. Here's how to fix it:
1. Export the calendar to an ICS file.
2. Using the Windows login that "owns" the calendar, delete the calendar and say "Yes" when asked to delete it from the database.
3. Using your Windows login, delete the local copy of the calendar.
4. Re-import from the ICS file and then enable sharing on the imported calendar.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

ericrep

Post by ericrep » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:01 am

Dan -

Re the shared calendars being removed from sharing... I'm traveling this week. I checked my laptop and don't have the Delete command mapped to anything. I don't recall ever mapping any commands so I doubt that I have the Delete command mapped on either of my desktops.

I've never seen the remove from sharing problem while I was using VueMinder. It seems to occur when I restart Windows and VueMinder starts or sometime in the middle of the night when I'm away from my computer.

Re the owner changing... I'll try the fix when I get home. A couple dot releases ago I had a problem where the custom formatting for several of the calendars changed without me doing anything. So I had to open each of those calendars on both desktops to change the formatting of the background. That's probably when the ownership got changed by the bug.

(On a related feature request... it would be great if a format override for a specific event would be shared to it also shows up on other computers.)

Thanks,
Eric

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:06 am

Hi Eric, thanks for the information. The problem with the calendar asking to remove itself from sharing has been fixed for the next version.

As for sharing custom event appearances, this is currently a feature. If you're not seeing it work, please go to the Appearance Options window and ensure the box labeled "Allow custom event appearances" has a checkmark on both computers.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA