Since 8.1.2 network share is slow

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Durwin

Since 8.1.2 network share is slow

Post by Durwin » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:51 pm

I use network to share calendars. And ever since 8.1.2 release things are very slow. *every* change I make (like checking complete in the event list) it will stop responding (clock second hand stops) and may resume after 30 seconds or longer. Some times it never comes back and I am forced to kill it. When it locks up, the menu still operates, but selecting any menu item fails to run (or runs when/if it returns operation).

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Since 8.1.2 network share is slow

Post by VueSoft » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:11 am

Hi Durwin, welcome to the forums. I'm not sure why you're seeing slower performance. One of the changes in 8.1.2 was supposed to make sharing much faster, not the opposite. :?

Could you send your SharedCalendars.mdb file to support@vueminder.com, so I can run some tests to determine why you're seeing slower performance? The data will be kept strictly confidential and will be scrubbed as soon as I've finished my tests.

If you can't send the data, one thing you could try would be to clean the database. This will remove any old deleted events and optimize the database for faster performance. To clean the database, go to the Sharing Options (via the Options menu) and click the "Cleanup Database" button. This might take several minutes, so please don't kill the process until it has finished. This should help improve performance, but I'm not sure if it will fix the problem you're seeing. I'll need to test with your database to determine the exact cause of the slowdown.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Durwin

Post by Durwin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:54 am

Update:

At some point it stopped loading shared calendars. So I played with it like that for a bit and learned it did the same thing with just a local calendar. I even ran msconfig and disabled all but Microsoft processes and rebooted. Vueminder still performed poorly. Every action I attempted caused the program to go away for a long time. I don't know where to find the local calendar, but here is the shared.

Durwin

Post by Durwin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:16 pm

Update:

I recently performed a clean install of Windows (I hate Bill Gates). I imaged the clean install for future. I restored this image and tried VueMinder. All worked (still a second or 2 response time but not the large delays as before). So even though I ran msconfig and stopped all I could, something in the system must have been unsettling.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:34 pm

Hi Durwin, thanks for the update. I tested with your database but didn't find any performance issues. I think the problem had something to do with your Windows configuration, so if anything changes are you notice the slowdown returns, please let me know.

In general, you can improve the performance of VueMinder by doing the following:
  • Reduce the date range in the Event list. If a whole year is displayed, try reducing it to the next 31 days, or just the date range you need to see. Do the same in the Task and Note lists.
  • In the Calendar Options, reduce the number of upcoming days shown on the desktop calendar. Pick a smaller number, like 3.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA