Minor problem in conjunction with UltraMon

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
enigmatic_user

Minor problem in conjunction with UltraMon

Post by enigmatic_user » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:54 am

I have another minor problem that seems to be related to UltraMon. VueMinder Calendar is started on my primary screen. UltraMon provides additional buttons in the title bar for stretching the program across all screens and for transferring it to the other screen (see http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/tour/windows.asp).

When VueMinder Calendar is maximized and I press the UltraMon button for transferring the application to the other screen, the tabs for choosing the view (Day, Week, etc.) are missing, and several other functions don't work correctly, e.g. navigating to the previous or next day/week/month etc. or choosing different color views by using Alt-1 to Alt-5. Right-clicking in some places leads to an error message instead of a context menu (see screenshot).

After minimizing VueMinder Calendar to the tray and opening it again everything works just fine again.

Do you have any idea what could cause this behavior? It's the only application that has problems with UltraMon, and I have quite a lot of programs installed on my machine...

Cheers,
Jan
Attachments
Missing tabs and error message after right-clicking a date in the small month view
Missing tabs and error message after right-clicking a date in the small month view
vueminder-ultramon-issue.gif (36.96 KiB) Viewed 17435 times
Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

gjbth

Re: Minor problem in conjunction with UltraMon

Post by gjbth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:09 am

Good morning Jan, sorry to jump in to your thread before Dan has had a chance to reply.

I have tried Ultramon and its a very nice piece of software for users of multiple monitors. When testing I came across another similar software which provides the same feature set plus much much more. The problems you are seeing more likely need sorting by Ultramon and not Dan. If they cannot be sorted have a look at Actual Window Manager.

http://www.actualtools.com/windowmanager/

I purchased a licence for Actual Window Manager a good while back and can confirm I have no problems using it with Vueminder, they both get along just fine. I am using the latest 6.4 beta along with 8.1.1 Vueminder.

Best Regards gjbth

p.s Vueminder is still the best Calendar software available anywhere. :D

enigmatic_user

Post by enigmatic_user » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:41 am

gjbth wrote:I have tried Ultramon and its a very nice piece of software for users of multiple monitors. When testing I came across another similar software which provides the same feature set plus much much more.
Thank you very much for the tip; it looks nice. What I don't see in the list of features is functionality for multiple screens. UltraMon provides separate taskbars for the applications that are visible on the secondary/third/... screen, for example, which is a very important feature for me. Before choosing UltraMon, I tested some similar tools for multiple monitors, but UltraMon stood out from the rest.
gjbth wrote:The problems you are seeing more likely need sorting by Ultramon and not Dan.
That's of course possible; I don't want to contradict you. But as a self-employed web developer who offers his customers all kinds of services from webhosting to PHP programming and from photo retouching to video editing, I do have a great bunch of software installed on my computer, and VueMinder Calendar is the only program that behaves strangely in conjunction with UltraMon, so I think it's the most logical approach to check if anything can be done in VueMinder Calendar before contacting the developers of UltraMon. ;)
gjbth wrote:p.s Vueminder is still the best Calendar software available anywhere. :D
Well, I didn't find a better one, too. :D

Cheers,
Jan

gjbth

Post by gjbth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:03 am

AWM provides excellent features for multi monitor set-ups. Including taskbars on every monitor.
At the moment I am using it with a four monitor setup but have in the past used it with six. I use these for design work with AutoCad. Have a look at http://www.actualtools.com/windowmanage ... nsions.php for details on Multi monitor features.
That's of course possible; I don't want to contradict you. But as a self-employed web developer who offers his customers all kinds of services from webhosting to PHP programming and from photo retouching to video editing, I do have a great bunch of software installed on my computer, and VueMinder Calendar is the only program that behaves strangely in conjunction with UltraMon, so I think it's the most logical approach to check if anything can be done in VueMinder Calendar before contacting the developers of UltraMon.
fair comment, by all means the problem may lie with Vueminder, but programs such as Ultramon and AWM perform wonders which the operating system did not intend, so we should really expect incompatabilities now and again.

Best Regards

gjbth

enigmatic_user

Post by enigmatic_user » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:39 pm

gjbth wrote:AWM provides excellent features for multi monitor set-ups. Including taskbars on every monitor.
At the moment I am using it with a four monitor setup but have in the past used it with six. I use these for design work with AutoCad. Have a look at http://www.actualtools.com/windowmanage ... nsions.php for details on Multi monitor features.
Ah, it's hidden in the online help! Looks great; I'll give it a try if VueMinder Calendar and UltraMon insist on disliking each other. ;)
gjbth wrote:fair comment, by all means the problem may lie with Vueminder, but programs such as Ultramon and AWM perform wonders which the operating system did not intend, so we should really expect incompatabilities now and again.
That's of course correct. And as I wrote, it's a minor problem since it can be solved easily by minimizing and then maximizing VueMinder Calendar. But we'll see if Dan can do anything about it.

Thanks for your comments, gjbth! :D

Cheers,
Jan

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:21 pm

I'm not sure if there's anything I can do about the problem when running with UltraMon. VueMinder's menu and tabbed window interface were built using components provided by Infragistics. In other words, if this is something that can be fixed outside of UltraMon, it would probably require modifications to the 3rd party components I'm using.

It sounds like UltraMon is doing some things that Infragistics didn't expect, or maybe vice versa. :?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

enigmatic_user

Post by enigmatic_user » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:29 pm

Okay, thank you very much for your reply! Then I'll give Actual Window Manager a try as soon as I find some time for it. I hope it doesn't collide with some other programs of mine... ;)

Cheers,
Jan

gjbth

Post by gjbth » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:01 am

Good morning Jan,

I know Ultramon has a very slow development pace, unlike Vueminder where Dan seems to resolve issues almost instantly. So if UltraMon cannot be fixed or it is going to take a good while to fix, and you do decide to give AWM a try, there is a further tip.

Some time after I had bought AWM, I needed to unistall it for disk maintenance, during uninstallation i was directed to a web page http://www.actualtools.com/windowmanager/uninstall/. If you look at the right hand side of the page you are offered a 30% discount on AWM.

As I said earlier I am using Vueminder 8.1.2 beta along with AWM 7.4 beta and they both get along just fine, I also have a system packed with software and everything seems stable so far, obviously this may not be the case with your system, but it may be worth a try.

Best Regards

gjbth

enigmatic_user

Post by enigmatic_user » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:07 am

gjbth wrote:I know Ultramon has a very slow development pace, unlike Vueminder where Dan seems to resolve issues almost instantly.
That's indeed right... :roll:
gjbth wrote:Some time after I had bought AWM, I needed to unistall it for disk maintenance, during uninstallation i was directed to a web page http://www.actualtools.com/windowmanager/uninstall/. If you look at the right hand side of the page you are offered a 30% discount on AWM.
Great tip, thank you very much! They offer AWM for $49.95 now (instead of $179.60 - or is this a permanent "offer"? ;)), and with the additional discount it's only $34.97, so I guess I can't make anything wrong by buying it. :)

Cheers,
Jan

gjbth

Post by gjbth » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:06 pm

Great tip, thank you very much! They offer AWM for $49.95 now (instead of $179.60 - or is this a permanent "offer"?
I can't recall it ever being $179.60, I think I paid the $49.95 a good while back.

Give it a test before you purchase it, just in case it's not as stable on your system as it is on mine. I would recommend you get hold of the latest beta version 6.4, as it has some nice additional features and is just about ready for final release.

Best Regards

gjbth