Google sync dupes

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
mrphysics

Google sync dupes

Post by mrphysics » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:22 pm

I seem to be having a heck of a time with VueMinder and my Google Calendar.

I have VueMinder set up on two machines (laptop and desktop). Both computers are set to sync with my google calendars (2 calendars but same account). The initial sync is fine but after that duplicates of events show up in VueMinder.

When I check the original Google Calendar there are NO duplicates and the calendar appears fine.

Both versions of VueMinder are 8.0.1 Pro and set to 2-way sync.

The dupes are not for all events and they only affect one calendar. All of the dupes are for repeat events but not all repeat events are being duplicated.

I am using another program (Google's own Calendar Sync) to sync my Outlook events to my Google Calendar.

If I try deleting a duplicated event BOTH are removed.

I have tried many times removing the offending calendar and setting it back up - always with the same result.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Jeff

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Google sync dupes

Post by VueSoft » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:13 pm

Hi Jeff, are you using 8.0.1? The latest version is 8.1.1. There have been some corrections for Google Calendar syncing problems, so it's possible if you updated to 8.1.1 you'd no longer see this.

However, there have been some reports of this still being a problem in 8.1.1. I'm not seeing it happen in my testing, unless the recurring event is created in VueMinder by copying and pasting from another series. That bug has been corrected for the next version.

Please let me know if you still see this problem after updating to 8.1.1.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

mrphysics

Post by mrphysics » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:23 pm

Hi Dan,

I am running 8.0.1 and will try 8.1.1.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

phoenixrisen41

Post by phoenixrisen41 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:00 pm

I am having a similar problem. I copy and paste events all of the time in my VueMinder desktop calendar because it is an amazingly efficient way to create events that are similar to each other.

However, I just upgraded to version 8.3.0 and decided to sync the calendar with my Google calendar, and some events are showing up upwards of 50 times in Google, but they only show up once on my desktop calendar.

Is there any way to fix this? I can't delete the duplicates from the Google calendar because it removes it from the desktop calendar as well. Can I "unduplicate" the desktop events somehow? It almost seems like maybe the event is there on the desktop calendar 20 times, but the desktop version is smart enough to realize it's the same event and just show it once.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi phoenixrisen41, welcome to the forums. I've tried duplicating the problem by copying and pasting a bunch of events - including entire recurring series, single occurrences, and regular events. I've also edited those immediately after the sync, waited until the first sync before editing, and left events unmodified after pasting. Edits were performed in both VueMinder Calendar and Google Calendar, using every combination of factors I could think of. However, no matter what I try, I can't get events to duplicate the way you're seeing.

Could you try a test? Copy and paste an event in VueMinder as you normally would. Try to pick one that doesn't show duplicates in Google Calendar. After pasting and waiting for VueMinder to sync, check Google Calendar. Does the event appear once, or does it have duplicates? Edit the event in VueMinder Calendar and then let it sync again. Does the event get duplicated?

I'm not sure, but I suspect the duplicates you're seeing were due to bugs in the previous version, which have since been corrected in 8.3.0. In any case, please let me know what you find.

As for cleaning up the previous duplicates in Google Calendar, the easiest way of doing this would be to follow these steps:
1. Temporarily disable syncing of the calendar in VueMinder by unchecking the box on the Google Calendar tab of the Calendar Properties window.
2. Exit VueMinder by right-clicking its icon in the task tray and selecting "Exit".
3. In Google Calendar, click the "Settings" link below the calendar list and then click the Delete button to delete the calendar and all its events.
4. Restart VueMinder.
5. Open the Calendar Properties window and re-enable syncing of the calendar via the Google Calendar tab.
6. The calendar should re-appear in Google Calendar, without all the duplicates. You'll probably need to refresh the web page.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

phoenixrisen41

Post by phoenixrisen41 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:24 pm

Ok, I copied a repeating event (that wasn't duplicated in the Google calendar) and pasted it in the desktop calendar. After it finished syncing with the Google calendar the original event was there and the copied/pasted event was also there. Since it was the same event, even though it looks like a duplicate in Google, it clearly isn't because it is also showing up twice on the desktop calendar.

Next I took the pasted event and changed it and all recurrences to one day earlier. It synced with Google calendar and now the pasted series shows up on Google calendar a day earlier, but it is also still "duplicated" on the original day. On the desktop the original is still there, and the pasted/edited one shows up one day earlier, as expected.

So somehow it seems to be making my edits, but leaving an original copy as well, or something...

Also, to fix the duplicated I have tried deleting my Google calendar and re-syncing it with the desktop three or four times now over the past few weeks; every time I sync it up again even more duplicates appear than the last time I deleted and re-synced. :-(

phoenixrisen41

Post by phoenixrisen41 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:36 pm

Oh dear, now I've just deleted the pasted event, cuz it's not a real event. The desktop calendar synced with Google and now a third occurrence of the original event has shown up on the original event day. So the original is there, a duplicate from when I moved the event to the previous day is there, the event on the previous day is listed there, and now a third duplicate on the original day that showed up after I deleted it. It seems like every time I make a change, no matter what the change is, to a copied event it puts another duplicate of the event on the Google calendar.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:39 pm

Hi phoenixrisen41, is your sync direction set to "1-way (VueMinder to Google)", by any chance? If so, try setting it to 2-way.

I'll work on fixing the next version to not create duplicates when 1-way sync of VueMinder to Google is used. I usually test with 2-way sync, which is why I didn't see this before.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

phoenixrisen41

Post by phoenixrisen41 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:27 pm

Just to give it another try I followed your directions for deleting the events from the Google calendar and re-syncing them. Now that it has synced again there are only two duplicates for about half of the events (half of the events appear twice).

Another thing I just realized is that all of the events that keep duplicating themselves are marked as "All Day" events. Could that be related?

I just re-did the tests you asked about earlier but this time I used a non-repeating event with a start and end time. Everything worked fine this time, I copied and pasted the event, then synced, then edited it, then synced, then deleted it, then synced, and absolutely no duplicates or anything weird showed up. I guess it's just my All Day events that are freaking out a bit...

phoenixrisen41

Post by phoenixrisen41 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:28 pm

It is set to 2 way sync, that way I can update Google on my phone and have it go back to the desktop later.

Thanks for your quick responses with this!