shared calendar - email reminders

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
petratinio

shared calendar - email reminders

Post by petratinio » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:15 am

Hello,

I have a shared calendar on a windows 2003 server and a calendar on windows 7 notebook that is a contributor to the server calendar.
When I create a new event in the notebook with email reminder settings, this event appears in the shared calendar on the server, but the email reminder definitions of this event are blank.
So, the email will never be sent if my notebook is off.
Is there something else I need to do in order to see the email reminder being sent?
Thx.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: shared calendar - email reminders

Post by VueSoft » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:24 pm

Hi petratinio. The way email and SMS reminders work in shared calendars, only the creator of the event can configure these reminder settings, and the settings aren’t shared with other computers because that could result in duplicate copies of the reminder being sent from each computer.

While originally designing this feature, the only approach I could find to prevent duplicate reminders from being transmitted at the same time was to make the email and SMS reminders local to the computer - not shared over the network. This is due to the timing of the reminders, since all computers scheduled with a reminder will process that reminder at exactly the same time, and aren’t aware of what other computers on the network are doing at that instant.

I'll work on improving this. I believe I could add an option for specifying the computer name which is to send the email/SMS reminder. This would eliminate the possibility of duplicate reminders, and allow you to define the event reminder on your notebook but have the reminder email sent by the server. I'll let you know when this feature is available.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA