GTD with VueMinder

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
mikeperrou

GTD with VueMinder

Post by mikeperrou » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:28 am

Hi, I cannot see a Usability sub-forum, so I am posting the topic here.

I use GTD extensively to organize my projects and actions. The problem is Vuemider doesn't allow sub-tasks or sub-events.
Basically I would like to create a task ( project) and link another task ( Next action )to it .
Right now I am experimenting with task calendars (one for projects and one for Next actions). On the Tasks view, I cannot see them as tree....
Any suggestions how to use GTD with VueMinder.
Thanks
Using Vueminder pro 8.01 on XP3

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: GTD with VueMinder

Post by VueSoft » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:15 am

Hi mike, welcome to the forums. Since you're linking one task that needs to be completed to another task, you could use the Links tab in the Task Editor. If there are several tasks that need to be completed for a larger task, link each of those sub-tasks to the main task. You'll see the sub-tasks in the Details pane when the main task is selected. It's not arranged as a tree, but the general concept is the same.

I think once you start using this linked approach, it will make a lot of sense. It's designed to logically flow the same way you do your work. The Links tab can be used for other things as well, like linking contacts to their assigned tasks.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

mikeperrou

Post by mikeperrou » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:52 am

Thanks Dan,
I started doing the same thing you are suggesting, it works pretty well.
Is there a way to get events and tasks showing together in a 1 combined view?
Also, Is there a way to filter tasks with no links?
Thanks
mike

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:11 pm

Mike, events and tasks will overlay together in the Day, Week, Month views, if the tasks have assigned due dates. I think you might have been asking if they can be combined into a single list. Unfortantely, the answer is no. However, you can drag the Events and Tasks tabs to an edge of the screen, to see both lists simultaneously in separate tab groups.

As for filtering tasks that have no links, this is not currently a feature. I've added this to my idea list, and will let you know when it's available. I'm envisioning a clickable "Links" column in the event, task, note, and contact lists. The column filtering feature could be used to hide all rows that have (or don't have) associated links.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

mikeperrou

Post by mikeperrou » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:32 am

Thanks DAN,
The links column is a great idea (It will be nice, If completed items can be hidden in the link column ). As for the combined list, I am using the excellent 'export to Excel' feature. I just put the events and the tasks lists in 1 excel sheet.
Thanks for the great software.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:02 pm

Version 2019.01 has been improved to include a Links column in the Event, Task, Note, and Contact Lists. The Links column will show any items that have been linked, and the links are clickable. More details about this improvement can be found here:
http://www.vueminder.com/blog/post/what ... tact-lists

To update, click the "Help -> Check for Updates" menu command.
Dan Chartrand, Founder